My time in Chile

Santiago Travel Blog

My first impression of Chile was the cleanliness of Santiago.  The trip to Valparaiso reminded me of riding through Napa Valley.  After arriving in Valparaiso, I was impressed by the La Sebastiana, former home to Pablo Neruda.  His close relationship with former President Salvador Allende was interesting.  I enjoyed walking through his elegant home with antiques.  Valparaiso had its economic boom and bust through the years but it is now being preserved as a historic site.  The walking tour gave me full appreciation of its historical importance.

Vina del Mar was a scene from French Riviera.  The ride through the town, restaurants, gave the city a special beauty of its own.  The statue from Easter Island is an important symbol of Chilean history.

The tour of Santiago gave me the impression of a modern city with many exclusive neighborhoods.  I was surprised by the social stratification in the city proper, but did not personally see the poor neighborhoods.  The visit to "The Hill" is a must for anyone travelling to Santiago along with the cable car ride.  Even though the haze was thick, the view of the city and the Andes Mountains was remarkable.

I enjoyed the lectures at the university and the opportunity to get the Chilean perspective first hand from the speakers.  I now better understand how the Chilean Model has succeeded in many ways but disappointed in the lack of expenditures in education in the poor areas.  I would love the opportunity to come back to Chile with my family, I think they would thoroughly enjoy the country.

1,109 km (689 miles) traveled