Argentina 2007 Study Abroad

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Traveling through the city of Buenos Aires is much like large cities in Europe, especially Madrid and Paris.  I am impressed with how much European culture has survived to this day.  The city has distinguished neighborhoods, reflecting different stages of development, having their own character.  Most neighborhoods are easily accessible by the subway.

I really enjoyed walking on Avenue 9 de Julio.  With 16 lanes, I can really appreciate how Buenos Aires is large and cosmopolitan, with the Oblisk as an important symbol in the center.  As one who appreciates historical architecture, I was impressed with how the buildings were well preserved, especially the neoclassical style.

I can really appreciate how important soccer is in the Southern Cone of South America.  The energy and enthusiasm of the fans make basketball, football, and baseball games in the United States seem tame.  I would like to attend another game during my visit.

I am surprised as to the importance of unions in Argentina.  The one day strike on the subway came as a surprise. However, the next day was free.  Also, the trashing of the Constitution subway stop was most intriguing, and I still do not understand the violence..

While on a walk to the pedestrian street (Florida), I noticed a large demonstration.  Large crowds were arriving from the street to gather with loudspeakers in front of the Casa Rosada.  Local elections are in June, and groups from other provinces were in Buenos Aires to protest hunger.  Specifically, the cry was to be hungry is a crime.  Also, some mothers of the disappeared were in the crowd.  There were thousands with banners gathering in the square.

1,109 km (689 miles) traveled