Auckland Travel Blog

Sunset over Auckland's harbour.
So it's been around 3 years since my 7 month journey of the south pacific, where has the time gone? My memory is a bit fuzzy after so much time, but i'll try and cover the highlights starting with NZ.

It was December 2003 and I had just finished college (Computer Systems Technology @ Seneca College, Toronto), the time had finally come to spread my wings and go for an adventure. I always wanted to go back to Australia, I had been there when I was 13 with my family and had nothing but fond memories. It was time I went back, 10 years later. When I received my final grades and knew I would get my college diploma and went right out and booked my flight.

A friend of mine and his girl friend (they're married now) were living and working in NZ at the time in Auckland, so I figured I would head there and travel with them for a while before heading to OZ.
Yours truly at the Auckland Domain.
I arrived in Auckland some time in February 2004 to a torrential rainstorm. My cab from the airport had to take the scenic route to get to my friend's place as some of the roads were flooded with a foot or two of water.

They had a small place, but quite cozy in Ponsomby (I'm sure i've spelt that wrong). They were in the middle of selling all their belongings to get ready to leave for the trip. The first night I was there I had a couch to sleep on, but they sold it out from under me the next day!

Auckland was such a treat to visit. Looking out over the harbor at night was an incredible site to see. The myriad little lights bobbing in the water had a certain ability to calm and sooth the observer. Since Toronto is on a lake, we don't have a mature boating culture like that of sea side cites. I'd never seen so many boats in one place. The city was so compact but a nightmare to navigate your way through. My home city's  streets are laid out in a grid, Auckland's tangle of winding streets got me lost more times than I could count.

After a couple days of tieing up loose ends, Tal, Hailey and I rented a car and hit the road!
superduperfantastic says:
I was in NZ in early 2004 after I finished school. :p
Posted on: Jun 19, 2007
Sunset over Aucklands harbour.
Sunset over Auckland's harbour.
Yours truly at the Auckland Domain.
My good friends Tal & Hailey outsi…
My good friends Tal & Hailey outs…
Our car that traveled many a KM :)
Our car that traveled many a KM :)
694 km (431 miles) traveled