Haggis In A Can. I. Introduction

London Travel Blog

It's been over 3 weeks since I am back from my wild trip through Scotland. Nestled peacefully into the solitude of what used to be my cozy little childhood room in my parents' flat, I'm slowly slipping into the winter lethargy, my ventures into far off lands rapidly fading from my memory and already feeling like a distant dream or a figment of my imagination.

So, without further ado, time to get right down to business. Within the next few days (God willing) I will try to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to share the story of this trip.

Ever since I was a kid I was always drawn to the mysteries of the Celtic lands. When I moved to London that childhood dream suddenly came back to me as Scotland now was closer than ever. So, when my life in the city started to bore me and all the wake up calls clearly indicated that it's time to move on - I quit my job and before flying back to my nest to plan my next destination, I decided to give Scotland a little visit.

Short trip summary: My Scotland trip lasted for 6 weeks, from 25th of September to the 8th of November, departing from London to Edinburgh and returning back to London through Glasgow.

As I like to travel light and not having to worry about any valuable items in my bag, I decided to take on Scotland with an average size backpack filled with just bare essentials. My digital camera proved to be too cumbersome for such a compact packing, I chose to take 2 disposable cameras instead, so I can discard them as I go along. Besides, having had worked as a photographer back in London for over a year, I had no intention of spending my holiday doing the same damn thing that I was trying to get away from in the first place. So, a limit of 2 x 39 = 78 exposures should force me to focus only on the shots that I felt had the most relevance to my trip.

Since Russians are second only to Jews when in comes to a good bargain (and me particularly being extremely cheap) I decided to make this trip on the lowest possible budget (I will try to calculate my total spendings within the next few days). To be fair - I never had much money to begin with so this comes more out of necessity than my own wishes, though I must admit I do get quite a kick out of being able to live my bohemian lifestyle and still enjoy the same pleasures as the next person, like traveling. So, after concluding that my whole trip cost me almost as much as a week of living in London, I've decided to share my experience in this Cheapscape's Guide To Scotland (which will hopefully be the first in the series of The Cheapscape's Guides To stories), which I've entitled Haggis In A Can (origins of this name will be explained further in the blog).

So, do bare with me as I hike, hitchhike, wander round, work for a living, sleep in hostels, meet the most random people but most of all - explore the awesome beauty that is Scotland, all while evading the tourist traps and trying to save the almighty pound. Comments, criticism and any other ideas are more than welcome and of course if there are any questions regarding the trip or anything I can help you with - don't hesitate to get in touch!

Onwards, brave traveler!

Hark when the night is falling,
Hear! hear the pipes are calling,
Loudly and proudly calling,
Down thro' the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping,
Now feel the blood a-leaping,
High as the spirits of the old Highland men.

--Scotland The Brave

iodized_96 says:
Wow Nicely written, Can't wait for the rest of the story. :)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2009
ajdennis1980 says:
I love the way you have written this, funny yet informative. And being from Yorkshire, I do like a bargin trip ;)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2009