NYC to Seoul and its Metro Line #9 to Yeouido

Seoul Travel Blog

The sunset at the International Date Line
Getting to my destination city and accomodation has always been an exhausting and exciting adventure for me.

Compared to my previous visit to Seoul where my friend, Sae, picked me up at the airport and headed straight to Chuncheon via bus, where his wedding was held (read my South Korean 2007 blog), I will be going to another friend's apartment on my own - via public transportation - since picking me up at the airport would be too time consuming considering the notorious Seoul Friday afternoon/night traffic.

From Incheon, I took a 30-minute bus to Gimpo Airport (6,500KRW=$6.50), where I connected to the new Seoul metro Line #9 train (1,000KRW=$1, just opened in July 2009) to Yeouido-Saetgang stop, where I will stay with my friend, who had a spare en-suite bedroom for me to stay on my weekend visit.
Seoul nightscape from Yeouido

He lives in high rise apartment complex, well-known in Seoul to be a luxury apartment. (For safety and privacy purposes - it is, afterall, my friend's private residence, you know), I am omitting the complex name because it is a very popular. Yes! Just ask any Seoulite for a well-known apartment complex in Yeouido and it is probably in the top 2 if not #1 mentioned.

The apartment and it's area has been a setting in several Korean dramas (min-series). I didn't really know how well-known that apartment was until I asked my friend, Sae, that I will be staying with my friend, Albert, in an well-known apartment complex in Yeouido. And viola! He was able to name the complex in his first guess. It was scary and yet an insight on how despite Seoul is a large city, with small unnamed streets, neighborhoods, and a population of 40% (11 million residents) of the country (49 million total population in S.
Seoul nightscape from Yeouido
Korea), it is still a "small" city.

My friend's apartment on the 29th floor with a floor-to-ceiling glass window in his living room, has an awesome view of the Han River, its bridges, and the Namsam Tower. The pictures does not do it justice!

My friend invited me to go out that night with him and his friends, but pleading exhaustion (as I left NYC early in the morning with only 3 hrs of sleep and a hangover after partying all night with serious consumption of alcohol), I stayed, took a long shower and enjoyed the city view from his living room window, before sleeping at 1am Korean time.

I woke up slightly around 5am, upon hearing my friend and another of his friend, arriving home, before I quickly drifted back to sleep.
The sunset at the International Da…
The sunset at the International D…
photo by: chiyeh