A Cold in Chile

Santiago Travel Blog

Blog 2

Upon arriving at our hotel in Chile, once again free from expectations, I was really content to see the area we were staying in -- a nice suburban type neighborhood very near the inner city. It offered us a quiet place to collect ourselves after a very busy, sleepless first week in Buenos Aires. Unfortunately we discovered quickly that the hotel had a poor heating system, and within the next couple of days I developed the worst cold of my life (which I am still struggling to get rid of). Although the cold sort of took over my life for the week, I still managed to learn a ton and come away with a handful of very memorable experiences.

I will remember Chile as a week of great variety. From the day trip to the coastal region of Val Paraisio, to the winery, to the interesting day of lectures as well as our trips to the embassy. Our driver and guide were a funny set, a friendly pair who seemed to enjoy their jobs. As I started to think in terms of my new major, industrial design, I ended up noticing a lot more design aspects of the architecture than I normally do, particularly in Val Paraisio. Pablo Neruda's house was a budding designer's paradise, with all sorts of stylistic quirks personal to Neruda. I have to admit that in every room I found something that I just HAD to have a picture of, and therefore got scolded on just about every level of the house not to take pictures.  My lunch that day was also memorable and quite tasty...an cooked egg on type of mashed potatoes!

Santiago