EuropeItalyRome

Walking through Ancient Rome

Rome Travel Blog

On the pretty rooftop of our hotel.

I finally had some decent sleep and had a great breakfast in the hotel - they had wonderful pastries, a great selection of juices and superb coffee.

Today, our plan was to visit Ancient Rome.  We walked down Via Del Corso and arrived at Piazza Venezia in about 15 - 20 minutes, where we were greeted by the immense and impressive Victor Emmanuel Monument.  At this point, my mom really needed a bathroom (this was going to become a recurring theme on this trip), and we had to go into the monument to use the bathroom (0.50 euro).  Then we visited the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and the Colosseum.  (Tip - get your tickets at the Forum for the Colosseum first, and bypass all the lines when you arrive at the Colosseum.)  It's amazing to imagine how grand and advanced this ancient city was.

At the same time, it's difficult not to feel some sadness at how violent they were in their idea of "entertainment".

After an entire morning in Ancient Rome, we found a random tourist center nearby to gave an espresso / hot chocolate break - and yes, to use the restroom (free, but donations welcome).  While there, the weather suddenly turned, but we were nicely shielded from the rain while sipping our drinks.  Afterwards, we walked back up Via Del Corso and had to stop again at San Crispino (double yay!) for more gelato.  At this point we were starving so we went to a touristy looking pizza place near Trevi Fountain - very uncharacteristic of me - but it turned out ok.  My mom really enjoyed the primavera pizza and mixed salad.

After some more shopping, we returned to the hotel and enjoyed the views from its rooftop garden.  Then back to Ristorante Montevechhio.  On this evening, we had grilled octopus on baby potatoes, spaghetti with seafood, lasagne and grilled beef.  I also ordered half bottles of both red and white wine, and since my mom barely drinks, I had to consume them both.  The meal was again great, but oddly enough, my favorite was the lasagne.  Hands down the best lasagne I've ever had!

Victor Emmanuel Monument.
Victor Emmanuel Monument.
So dramatic, huh?
So dramatic, huh?
Statue of Caesar.
Statue of Caesar.
See the Colosseum behind mom?
See the Colosseum behind mom?
Roman Forum and Palantine Hill.
Roman Forum and Palantine Hill.
The Colosseum.
The Colosseum.
Taking a drink break.
Taking a drink break.
Pizza Pizza Pizza!
Pizza Pizza Pizza!
Another gelato at San Crispino!
Another gelato at San Crispino!
Dinner No. 2 at Ristorante Monteve…
Dinner No. 2 at Ristorante Montev…
Happiness!