Industrial heritage on

Amsterdam Travel Blog

One of the buildings

On National monument buildings day which is organized once a year a lot of monumental buildings open their doors which the rest of the year will be closed. The theme of this year was "Old building - New intention".

So my sister and I took the opportunity to take our cameras with us to the old NDSM wharf buildings.
Ships were built here in the past; since the 1980's the construction and repair of ships in Amsterdam slowed down entirely, and in the buildings which have escaped dismantling a lot of other activities are organized. F.e. in the welding building once a month a market with second hand stuff, but today it was emptied to show the construction of the factory-building.

Three of the original factory buildings were opened for public today, the Scheepsbouwloods (Ship-construction building), the Lasloods (the welding-building) and the Afbramerij (Deburring building).

Part of the outside of the ship-construction building
We started our tour in the "Scheepsbouwloods". Here the vessels were constructed, from steamers to supertankers.
Today this building is a home for many artists, having several studio's as well as lots of space for large projects.

We also went outside at the slipway, next to which a big crane still towers high into the sky.

When entering the second building, the welding building, I unfortunately found out my camera got out of power, altough I charged it this morning, however not entirely. Too much zooming and flash, and since this is a new camera I don't have an extra battery yet.

Well, no problem, because at the next building, the deburring building, where crafts were demonstrated, I could focus on the old technique of blacksmithing, or the ones like cutting out metal plates with electric power with a protection gas as nitrogen, however no pictures for me.

One of the buildings
Part of the outside of the ship-co…
Part of the outside of the ship-c…
View towards the center