Greenpeace

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Small Rainbow Warrior next to the big Esperanza

The other day I read in the local newspaper a message about a Greenpeace information day with access on their ships Rainbow Warrior and Esperanza, which would be in port at the NDSM dockyards.
Esperanza is a big vessel, which has ice class, so it is suitable to work in polar regions.
The Rainbow Warrior carries specialized equipment, and is designed so that scientist can work on board.

My youngest sister came over that weekend, and the two of us got on the bicycles to have a look. It is not that far from where I live, and after we locked the bikes, we walked the entire length of the pier because the ships were right at the end, just to learn we should have enlisted at the starting point of the pier for there was only guided tours on the ships. Doing so we learned there was a waiting line for about 2 hours (We did not see many people, so assumed they spend their waiting time in the cafe's or have a walk).
That 2 hours would be too much for us because my sister had to go to work later that afternoon.

So we took some pictures of the ships, and went on the ferry towards the center of the town, where we would grab a coffee at the CC Dijk, and it was a nice one.

Small Rainbow Warrior next to the …
Small Rainbow Warrior next to the…
Esperanza
Esperanza
Rainbow Warrior and Esperanza.
Rainbow Warrior and Esperanza.
Amsterdam