the lobster that nearly killed me
I found out I was allergic to shellfish on this trip. It was formal night, and I was so excited -- I was going to try lobster because I figured if I didn't like it, I could go get pizza later. While eating it, I thought it was okay, but I probably wouldn't order it again. Well, just minutes later, the allergic reaction started (my throat felt like it was covered in shell). I didn't realize what was happening until Judy asked me if I was allergic to shellfish, and I answered, with a raspy voice, apparently. I didn't think this was even a possibility because I'd eaten shrimp and crab before. Luckily, TJ is a nurse and he told me I had two options: either go immediately to the infirmary or take some Benedryll. I am PETRIFIED of needles, so I took the Benedryll.
But, I ended up in the infirmary just an hour later. The Benedryll subsided the reaction only long enough for my eyes to start swelling and then I couldn't breathe through my nose. I went to the infirmary -- by myself. My travel buddies had stayed at the nightly show while I went back to the room to rest. But, I must say, this did not ruin my trip, and the on-call nurse and doctor were so incredibly nice. It was just a minor setback while at sea; it didn't keep me from any of the activities or ports. I just had to be mindful of everything I ate -- no Alaskan king crab for me!
I had eaten shrimp and crab before, so this was a complete
surprise to me. The doctor explained to me that I have probably always been allergic, but had not had shellfish in a quantity that would cause me to have the allergic reaction. He said that most people don't find out they are allergic to shellfish until
they eat lobster.