A tiny Medieval Royal Chapel

Pyrga Travel Blog

It’s time to go, the sun in going down, fast. I’ve two more stops to make.

I return to the car and head down the mountain. I have to take this point to make a statement. Radio stations in Cyprus are awesome, especially the British Forces Broadcasting System. They listen to good, fun music. Nederlands take note of this.

On with my story, I continue down the mountain to an outcropping that I spotted on the way up. It had a fantastic view of the mountain and monastery. I even got a pic with me in it!

I reach the bottom and head for Pryga. It has a chapel from Medieval times. It was a short drive and there I was there. The little chapel is eclipsed by a monster of a church behind it and childrens multi color play sets infront of it.

That’s sad. It was locked. The times listed meant that it should have been open….but it wasn’t.

The Royal Chapel was built by Lusignan King Janus in 1421, it contains a wall painting of the king and his wife, Charlotte de Bourbon. It is considered to be one of the most interesting structures surviving from the Frankish period.

According to an inscription, which is lost today, the Chapel was built and decorated with wall-paintings in 1421/22. It must be noted that it is justly argued by some researchers that the chapel was dedicated to the Passion of the Saviour. Originally, the chapel was entirely painted, as are the Byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range. However, many of the wall paintings were destroyed in the course of time.

photo by: delsol67