The most archtectually interesting church in all of Cyprus

Geroskipou Travel Blog

I decided that on my way south, to return to Larnaca, I would stop at Geroskipou (Sacred Garden) to see the Agia Paraskevi on their town square. It is said to be one of the most interesting churches on the island and I agree. It is a five dome church built in the 9th century. The domes are arranged in the shape of a cross. The sixth one surmounts the reliquary located under the 19th century belfry.  It’s interior is decorated with 15th century murals of scenes from the New Testament, including the lives of Jesus and Mary, and the Crucifixion.

I took the back road along the coast and then through some fields and up a hill. The road was very small and seemed to get even smaller the closer to town center that got. I parked along the street and walked to the town square.

The church sits there on the square.

The town has done a great job of creating a clean modern open space for the community to enjoy and showcase their great treasure, and a great treasure, it is!!!

The domes with their nubs on top of them are like none I’ve ever seen. The design is simple but timeless and has a bit of an Arabic feel. The bell tower is newer but, a unifying element with other Cyprus’ churches.

I was there when the town’s people came for their evening services. I could only peek into the church but, it looked as colorful and continues the standard that other Cypriot Orthodox churches set.

I’m so glad that I tried to find this final special little church in Cyprus. It’s puts a nice end to a spectacular exploration.
Geroskipou