Heading into the mountains

Limassol Travel Blog

Today was my mountain day. I went into the Troodos Mountain. It was another clear and sunny day. It was around 22 in the lower levels and 11 in the mountains. It’s amazing how dramatic the difference in temperature can be.

I’ve not done very well with my time management on this journey but, as always, I try to do too much.

The great distances and driving across many mountains was the enemy of my plan, today. Cyprus may not be big but throw climbing 1500 to 1800 meter mountains all day and it can feel much larger.

I set out and easily found my way out of Larnaca, yes!!! On my way to the main east-west highway, I had a great view of one of the taller mountains from the flatlands of Larnaca.

In between Larnaca and Limassol, I passed an unusual sight. I turned out to be one of the protective domes that cover the excavation at Tenta, where a Neolithic settlement is being uncovered.

I continued passed Limassol and turned north near the town of Kantou. It was near that town that I stopped at Agios Amvrosios, a striking Greek Orthodox Church with a wonderful mountain backdrop.

I continued north form there along a valley. I stopped now and then for pictures of these mountains as they are different. They looked stepped or layered or even terraced. There would be a layer a green, one of white, and one of brown, and then repeated…very interesting.

The mountain drive was great and with such a nice day, I had the windows down.

photo by: pretty_girl