Evening - A final Cyriot sunset

Larnaca Travel Blog

I  got back into the car and set off the down the highway. I was witness to a final one of Cyprus’ amazing sunsets over the Mediterranean.

It was dark as I returned to Larnaca. I made a run through the new airport (just opened on Nov 17th) to familiarize myself with the layout and hopefully the location of the rental car return. Not so much, as there was no sign to that effect. It’s not a big airport and expected to not have too much difficulty.

I left and returned to the hotel and easily found a parking, for the first night! I packed all of my goodies and took something to help me sleep as this was really early for sleep at 19:00. My flight was at 04:30 and needed to get up at 02:00 am.

I had a releatively easy time getting to sleep and awakened easily. I was up and out by 02:45 and the drive was a breeze…..no traffic.

The fight to Budapest was uneventful….thank God, and the connection, easy. I was glad to be home as Rob returned from the USA, the day before and our friend Karen would be arriving from Atlanta, that evening.

On adventure ends……and another begins!

My last day Cyprus, I had a lot planned. Today would be my day around Pafos.  I had prepared my route and altered my expectations to a reasonable level as to have a potentially less stressful and more relaxing day.

I headed out and easily found my way to the proper highway…..finally getting the hang of this city!!!

I headed south along the salt lake to the Hala Sultan Tekke Sanctuary. It is a major Muslim sancturary. It includes an octagonal mosque built in 1816 built by the Turkish governor of Cyprus. After Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem, it is among the holiest of sites in the Muslim world.  I didn’t have time for a full visit but, had heard so much about the physical beauty that I had to at least drive along the shore of the lake and see this site. It was just a few minutes south of town and immediately visible from the road.

The Sanctuary looks like a tropical oasis in such a strange land. The utter lack of vegetation behind and in front and the lush vegetation on the property make for a dramatic contrast. The mountains to the north just add to the drama.

I continued on my way, south, taking numerous pictures along the highway. I passed town after town that were so peaceful and removed from the stressful world.

The new airport in Larnaca - Chris…
The new airport in Larnaca - Chri…
Larnaca