O'Hare security

Chicago Travel Blog

Leaving Kuwait, I found myself an object of humor for the airport security. As they searched my bags before boarding the plane, they found a copy of the Qur'an that a friend had given me in Kuala Lumpur. The security guard gave me the thumbs up. Then as he kept digging, he found a bottle of Jordanian wine that I picked up at the duty free shop for my parents (yes, liquid was still allowed on the plane at this point in the Mid East, 2 years after September 11). For this, though, the security guard gave me thumbs down. I explained it wasn't for me, but he just shoved it back in my bag, said "haram," and let me go. Arriving in Chicago, I got the full security rub down, having been overseas for years at this point with multiple trips to Muslim Indonesia and Malaysia during that time, and having just arriving from the Middle East. But it was just a random check...a coincidence that I was singled out after looking at my passport. Really... Although the Middle East was not high on my list of places to travel to, I knew that after my introduction in Jordan that I would be back to the region at some point.

photo by: mahoney