The falls

Fukuroda Travel Blog

We had made the trek up to Fukuroda before on my first visit to Japan, but we got there at sunset and could barely see them. Given this and our late arrival to Edo Wonderland on Saturday, we got up earlyish and headed out at a respectable hour. Thankfully we arrived here right in the middle of the day, and were surounded by hoards of other tourists as it was Silver week in Japan. Silver week is a week of extended days off, so everyone travels.

The line into the falls took about an hout to get to the elevator. Once there, we proceeded up to the upper viewing deck to see the falls. It was definitely dry season as the falls were menial. The previous time they had a lot more water. It was still a pretty site and good to see what we had missed last time. From here, I wanted to hike around a little bit, so I took off up the trail not knowing what wasa ahead. Jason and Aki stayed behind as I tought I would only be gone for 20 minutes or so. The trail keep going higher and higher and after about 30 minutes, I finally got to the top of the mountain. The view was amazing and could have only been better if I could have seen the ocean. I hurried back down as I knew they were waiting on me, and it took only about 10 minutes to get down as I was going really fast. I past the girl who was hiking up in really high-heeled boots and skin tight jeans. Some things about Japan I just don't get, and that is definitely one of them.

I met back up with Jason and Aki and they said they had gone up a little bit, but turned back. As we left the park, I got some miso dango, which is a rice paste snack flavored with miso. It was very chewy and interesting. After this, we stopped in to a soba shop as this was something I had not tried in Japan yet surprisingly. I got the chicken soba I think and it was very filling and good. Aki purchased some of the dry noodles to take home and we headed back to Mito. Whenever we got back, I wakled down to the Jusco again and got some seasonal beer that I had seen at the Keisei mall. I love beer, and trying new kinds is always great, but I think my favorite are seasonal beers! These were definitely different than the typical Japanese beer. They had a little more body and flavor, and were definitely darker. This capped the end of another good day in the land of the rising sun.