Halloween dinner

Hitachinaka-shi Travel Blog

The whole reason for the lasagna was because my brother's wife's family was celebrating Halloween. I never really understood why, as it was over a month early, but hey, I just went with it. I don't know if it was because I was coming or what, but thats ok. Right after the lasagna was done, some of Aki's family came over to trick or treat. It was her neice, Saki (which I was corrected that it is the way most American's say Sake). She was a witch, and a very cute one at that! She came over to "trick or trick" and got some of the candy I had bought over. They left shortly after that, as they had to go to the grandparents house, then back to theres where we were eating.

We made it over there just before they arrived, and I was excited. This was the first house in Japan that I was going to. It was not much different than an American house. Definitely more spacious than the apartments I had seen. We had a nice spread for dinner that included Fugu (blowfish), my lasagna, raw shrimp that were very pretty and tasty, a tofu dish Aki had made called mabodoku (which I would later get a package of the sauce to take home), yakitori we had picked up at Keisei mall and a few other things I can't remember.

I had never had fugu before and got some background on it. It is evidentally a seasonal fish that is served in the fall. This was special because it was the first one of the season. It is more expensive I guess do to the cleaning process of removing the spines. It was served with its skin as a side and came with a spicy soy sauce. Definitely really tasty. Also, there is a drink that comes with this. It is called hirezake and is tiger fin fugu in sake. You are supposed to boil the fins in the sake for a bit from what I understand, and it provides a nice taste. My sake was served room temperature, but it was still a good experience. I was not a huge fan of the fish taste that it imparted, but I had seen it before and wanted to try it.

After dinner, Aki's brother-in-law wanted to open a bottle of whiskey that had gotten as a gift from their relatives in Taiwan (I think). It was a really cool shaped bottle, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. It was a white bottle with a curvy neck. It was from Spain. Supposedly it was a $500 bottle of whiskey and they were saving it for a special occasion to open. I tried to tell them that I was not $500 special, but they insisted. I am not a huge whiskey fan but will drink it if it is offered. This whiskey was very spicy and burnt all the way down. I usually like smoother whiskeys so this was not my favorite. It was definintely nice to try and glad that they had found an opportunity to try it. He offered me some to take home because they wouldn't drink it all so I accepted.

The dinner party had finally come to an end and we said our goodbyes and headed back to the apartment for the remainder of the night. It was a very enjoyable day overall, and I got to try some new things which is always a plus! One more full day left in Japan then it's back to the states.

alicegourmet says:
I've never eat fugu...sometimes I think this kind of fish is a bit overrated. Brave yourself to try something that you might get killed...ummmm...I don't know if this adrenaline rush act is worth for the price tag. I bet the fish was tasty though. Japanese loves to show warm welcome to their guests. I mean they will pull out their best food/drink they have for their guests.
Posted on: Nov 22, 2009