AsiaJapanMito

Grocery shopping

Mito Travel Blog

We woke up in the morning and I had brought over some pancakes to cook. They were pumpkin pancakes from Kerbey Lane Cafe here in Austin. So good usually, but I guess sitting in a box in the garage all some doesn't sit well with them :) They were decent, but just not like they should be. Aki seemed to enjoy them if I recall, but I was dissappointed as they are usually my favorite pancake ever.

We then started to get ready to head out to Nikko. This was a lengthy process for one reason or another, so Jason and I decided to head down to the grocery store to look for stuff for the lasagna. Well, the small store didn't have much so we went back the other way to the large supermarket Jusco. They had a few things that I needed, but I couldn't find ricotta cheese to save my life. We headed back to the apartment with out spoils, and once there, I got on the interwebs. Google told me that ricotta can be interchanged with cottage cheese. Go figure! The stores had that, so it wouldn't be a problem to find it.

jl_ghs316 says:
I found everything I needed that I couldn't bring over, I just didn't know it haha. I brought over spices to make italian sausage since I didn't figure they would have the right kind in Japan. Other than that, I think I could have gotten everything I needed over there.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2009
alicegourmet says:
Finding ingredients to make western food in Asia is a challenge. You need to be flexible and creative in subsitute some of the ingredients. Fortunately there's some gourmet markets in Hong Kong to have most of the ingredients available, just pay more than in US/England.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2009