Day 1

Charles C. Deam Wilderness Travel Blog

Sunset on Monroe Lake

I left Louisville around 3pm in hopes that I would get released from reserve at 4pm up the road. This did not happen, so I spent a few hours in my car and at the local BK Lounge in Scottsburg, IN. I finally decided to risk it and head up the road so I could get to the wilderness with light remaining. I arrived around 730 and was on the trail by 8. I had never hiked around here before, so everything ahead of me was a new adventure!

The area was really pretty with lots of green and a lot of trees. The terrain was hilly with gently slopes for the most part. I was hiking towards Lake Monroe, so there were definitely visible runoff trails for water. As I had set out about an hour before sunset, it was a very peacful time of day. The begining of the hike was over some paths that had been redirected I guess because of washout or something.

Again
 I did not see anyone on this part of the trail, and would only see probably 5 people the whole hike. It really was a wilderness!

After a good little bit, I came upon the first junction of the trail. I had to decide what I wanted to do. My options were to stay put and find the campsite at the junction or head towards the lake and try to find a campsite. As I was making really good time, and it was only another 2.6 miles to the lake, I decided to head towards the lake and look, and head back to the junction if it failed. I ended up not seeing a campsite as it was fairly dark by this point in the forest. I did come out on Lake Monroe right as the sun was setting. Sunsets are always magical no matter what, but being some place special really magnifies them! After I dried my eyes from the beauty, I headed back up the trail towards the junction.

There it goes!
By the time I got there, it was nice and dark. As anyone who has hiked right after sunset can attest, it is usually still light enough to see, but when you are in a forest, this is sharply restricted.

I had to pull my headlamp out and after another five minute hike down the trail, I found my new home for the night. I got camp set up naturally even though it had been a while since I had camped. After all of it that I have done, it is second nature thankfully! I proceeded to cook my feast of spaghetti on my stove, when I got a dreaded surprise! I found a tick crawling up my pant leg! YUCKK!!!!!! I hate these vile creatures! They make you feel so gross and nasty, and I can't for the life of me figure out what good they do! Anyway, I hoped it was just an occurance and tucked my pant legs into my socks, but to my dread, I had a few more crawl on me by the time I was done with dinner.

Goodnight world :)
These things were everywhere. I decided to clean up quick and go to bed, or at least to get in my tent where hopefully I was safe. I gave my self the mandatory once over that is required in tick country, and found I had a new companion on my left leg. I pulled him out and squashed him, but not before I felt really nasty for having it sucking on me. The rest of the night I really felt like I had things crawling all over me after the ticks I had seen, so I did not sleep good. Through in a deer coming in to my camp and snorting a lot, and it made for a long night. It was good to be back in the woods though!

alicegourmet says:
I always enjoy the sunset, sitting still and staring at the beautiful sun goes down. No words can describe how peaceful and quiet it feels.
I like camping but I don't like the nasty tick(s).
Posted on: Nov 21, 2009
Goodnight world :)
The trail back to the junction fro…
The trail back to the junction fr…
Charles C. Deam Wilderness