Day 4 continued

Courmayeur Travel Blog

Steet view

At the bottom of the valley, you first arrive to a medieval looking city of Dolonne. It is very small but very pretty with high walls and cobblestone streets. On the streets are spray paintings (just like on the roads before) of UTMB for the recently held Ultra Tour du Month Blanc. Right before I get in to the village, two guys come running down the same trail I just struggled down with their dog. How disheartening! Anyway, I make it across the river into Courmayeur and find the Venezia where Peter and John are staying. I find it and check in, and get my stuff squared away. I am left with an afternoon to explore Courmayeur!

From there, I meet up with John and walk around town. He shows me a pizza al taglio (pizza by the slice) place and we also get some gelato.

the main drag
We were discussing the finer points of Scottish whiskey (and there are many might I add!) when guess what we stumble upon?! A whiskey shop! John was struck by the beauty of the place in a little town in Northern Italy. It was super funny and quite a coincidence! We go back to the hotel and talk to Peter for a while. He was waiting to met up with his friend Peter who had to quit the hike due to a huge blister he had gotten. The second Peter had taken a trip to Aosta for the morning instead of waiting around Courmayeur all day. He finally arrives and plesantries are exchanged. He tells us about his trip to the doctor and what he has done the last few days. He tried to get to Elisabetta the day before via a bus most of the way there, but couldn't make it.
across from the square
We sit around for a bit and talk which I thuroughly enjoyed. The saying is that British humor is really dry, but theirs was just great!

I decide to check flights so I go to the tourist information and they point me to a bar that supposedly has wifi. I find it and ask about the internet and the guy gives me a passcode for it. I finally get it to work on my phone and get to look up flights. I find one through Geneva to Newark that looks good so that is releving. By the time I get back to the hotel, noone is there so I go out to try and find the Continental group at the Hotel Bertod. Luck was on my side as I found them walking down the street! They invite me in to hangout while they decide what to do for dinner. They finally decide to hit up a pizza joint up the road in an hour. I just hang out and talk to everyone while the rest of the group gets ready.

the square
For only having met them the day before, I am treated like family! It's great! We talk to the hotel owners who started the hotel. The main room, which is where my friends are staying, used to be the grandparents room back in the day. They moved out though and turned it into a sort of sweet.

We finally go to Pizzeria du Tunnel. I don't remember what I had but I remember it was good to be back in Italy! It was a mountain dish typical of the region. Food always tastes better! Everyone seemed to enjoy the food, not so much the service. We talked for a bit then headed back to the hotel. We said our goodbyes and I walked around the town a little more then headed back to the hotel only to find the owner upset that I was out so late. Guess that's what happens when you make your guests leave their keys inside!

Dolonne
Dolonne
awesome 3-wheel truck!
awesome 3-wheel truck!
The pizzeria on the left is where …
The pizzeria on the left is where…
The square with my crappy camera.
The square with my crappy camera.
A little better shot.
A little better shot.
Pizzeria du Tunnel
Pizzeria du Tunnel
Courmayeur Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice find with no reservation
While hiking around the Tour du Mont Blanc, I stayed in this pensione in Courmayeur. It was a nice find in an expensive area. Some of the guys I was h… read entire review
Courmayeur