Back to Geneva

Geneva Travel Blog

my hotel room

Back in Geneva and by myself again, I was in search of a hotel. my search for hostels the day before did not come up with much. I asked the travel desk if they knew of any place that gave crewmember discounts, and they said something about a hotel nash. I decided to walk over there, but took the wrong direction so came back. I asked one of the van drivers if he knew of a place and agreed that the Hotel Nash might. I decided to let him take me there. He circled around and ended up picking  up a Swiss Air flight attendant going to the Nash. I was super releaved! I asked him if he spoke English and he lit up. He had left France and gone to high shcool in California and then to college in Southern Utah! We chatted a little and I asked him if he knew if the hotel gave a discount.

United Nations
He said he thought it did, but that he would ask. We got there and I ended up getting the hotel for the crew rate of $103 out the door. I can't complain since it was Geneva and right next to the airport. The price even included breakfast and a metro card! (something I learned from the bus driver we gave so much crap to!)

I unpacked and chnaged and decided to hit the town. I took the train and then deicded to walk to the UN headquarters. It was a bit of a jaunt, but it was nice out. I walked through a park and kind of got lost, but finally found it. It was really sketchy looking and I didn't want to hang around it to long because it looked like a guarded place you see on tv. So I snapped a horrible photo and headed back. I walked around some of the lake shore and the sites at night and then decided to go this the brewpub I had seen right next to the train station.

UNICEf
This was going to be good, I good have some beer and still catch the last train to the airport!

Or so the plan was. I ended up getting into a conversation with a guy from Lima, Peru and talking about random things for a few hours. The last train left without me, and I had some more beer. Just before the place closed down the guy asked me if I was gay. It got really awkward. I wasn't sure if he was hitting on me or thought that I was hitting on him. Either way, he left shortly afterwards. I went to the bathroom and left too. I was going to take a taxi, but I figured I would just walk back. It was only a mile or two, and it was Geneva, it couldn't be too rough!

Well, rough or not, I eventually got back to the hotel. It took some knocking to get someone to open the door.

not really sure
 I got up stairs and chowed some on my last bits of cheese and sausage. I guess I feel asleep watching tv because the next thing I knew, it was 805am. My flight left at 9. I knew I had missed it, but thought I would give it a shot regardless. I didn't shower or anything, I just threw my stuff in my bag and ran down stairs. Thankfully the van was there so I got to the airpor just in time to see them taking down the checkin stuff. I ran up and asked if I could still try to get on the flight. When they realized I was a non-rev, I am sure they were super thrilled to have to rush for me. Anyway, I got through security and was at the gate by 835. Even at the gate, I almost missed the flight. Noone had told me to pay the departure tax, so they had to call to the desk and put it on my credit card.
Lake Leman
I did get on the flight and back to the states, only to think that my bag had once again gotten lost. In Newark, I waited for it and it never came. A bag just like man did, along with its co-bag haha. Someone else had the same backpack as me. Well the bag line stopped, but the guy said he thought there was more coming so I waited. He was right, and there was my bag! Safe! I went and got "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson on recommendation from Peter and settled in to wait for my flight down to IAD then Austin. I would get home much later, tired, excited, accomplished, and happy. What a great hiking adventure!

The thing I learned the most was not the terrain or the views. They were amazing and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but the best part of the trip was the people. Everyone on the TMB was super nice and willing to help you out. It was like we were in it together and they wanted to help you along. Whenever you saw the people every day, you got to know them, and would wait to see them at the refuge at night to share memories from the day. As I saw someone else put it on here, it only takes a day to make a new best friend. I really felt that way on the TMB!

Lake Leman
The St. Pierre Cathedral and build…
The St. Pierre Cathedral and buil…
flower clock
flower clock
definitely time for a new camera...
definitely time for a new camera...
clocktower
clocktower
again
again
Geneva Hotels & Accommodations review
Last minute deal.
So I get to Geneva from Chomonix late in the afternoon without a place to stay. I hate doing this. I always have a place to stay at least, everything … read entire review
Geneva Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Awesome beer find
It is Geneva so I was expecting expensive. $10 a beer is still high, definitely at a brew pub. I didn't drink anywhere else in Geneva so it could be r… read entire review
Geneva