(rolling) stone's city

Uchisar Travel Blog

Uçhisar is an amazing city. But it’s not only some empty turist attraction. People DO still live there. When you stand at the top of a hill you can actually see clothes hanging on the strings and some plants growing in front of the doors of this cave-houses.  I haven’t made any photographies because it seemed kind of rude, taking under consideration the citizens. However, I was invited by some lady on her rocky deck, or how she called it terrace. The view was breathtaking.  Rock formations are surrounded by sandy steppes. I could only imagine how does it look during the winter, or the sunrise.  She of course offered me some apple tea (elba çaysı) – Turkish are the most hospitable people I’ve ever met.

Besides houses a lot of holes and caves were turned into dovecotes – mostly because of the doves’ excrements which were used as  a feltilizer. I’m not sure if you can see the difference, because for me the soil in whole area is far from being fertile.

All in all the place is rather boring – there nothing besides rocks and humble trees growing here and there. But if you like to admire nature’s inventiveness spare some time to go to Uçhisar, and you will be amazed.

Uchisar