Yoga class, manicure and my fourth massage in four days

Ubud Travel Blog

In the morning, Nancy and I went to the 8:30am Hatha yoga class at Yoga Barn. The class is taught in a "barn" with two of the walls open with a view of the neighbouring rice terraces. It was raining, and the sound of rain added to the peacefulness of the location.

The class was one hour and 45 minutes and was a combination of breathing exercises and what I normally refer to yoga, sun salutations and balance exercises. The class was packed and had participants with skill levels from beginners to the non-armpit shaving enthusiasts. I picked a spot in the front near the middle, so had a very good view of the teacher and her incredible flexibility. It was inspiring, but also discouraging that no matter how much stretching I do, I'll never be able to do half the things she was doing!

It was a rainy day, with downpours and then just cloud, so not really a good day to be off exploring. Nancy and I got manicures, which she enjoyed but I didn't. It was ok for $7 though.

I also tried to do some shopping but couldn't find anything I liked and decided on massage four in four days, I went back to the place I had been a couple days before, with the man at Shangri-la spa. It was just as good as the one the day before, and highly recommended!

When leaving the massage, I ran into Heidi and we decided to meet up at the Laughing Buddah Bar for some food and drinks. There was a Blues band playing there, which was the same band from a couple nights before at the Jazz Bar. We ended up chatting with a middle aged man originally from India who read our palms and a few other expats who bought us drinks. A girl from Alaska came and sat with us and she started crying when the man read her palms and later told us she works in the "marijuana business", which I found to be quite random. It was fun until a very old man (with a long term drug problem from what we were told) fell into our table and knocked my entire beer on me. Being soaked in beer ruined the mood and I went home. With the exception of the beer incident, it was a great last night out in Ubud.
Ubud Hostels review
Excellent value in the heart of Ubud
I spent four nights at Ubud Bungalow from January 8 - 12, 2009 in a US$20 per night room with fan. The hotel is located on Monkey Forest Road, whi… read entire review
Ubud