Travel from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng Travel Blog

The VIP bus
I took the morning to see some of Vientiane's sights, which included the Laos version of the Arc de Triumphe and a couple wats located in the city.

My plan was to take a bus from the Talet Sal train station but after failing to find a bus that left before 2pm (I got there at 11:30am), I walked back into town and booked a tourist "VIP" bus leaving at 2pm instead, which costs 50,000 kip.

The ride took about 4 hours, with a stop at the halfway point at a dodgy store. The second half of the trip was on a very windy road, and after many stops so that we didn't hit any cows, we made it Vang Vieng.

I found a guesthouse near the river that I thought was a good idea. What I didn't realize is that the island in the middle of the river is the "Party Island" which goes off until late at night. Between trying to fall asleep with music blaring outside, being woken up by a drunken brawl between an irate local and a very intoxicated Brit outside my hotel and then again by a very loud dog, I didn't sleep much.

The town is literally made up of guesthouses and restaurants with tvs showing Friends and one playing Family Guy. I'll only be spending two nights here to escape to Luang Prabang.
Views along the way