Travel to Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

Shortly after the alarm woke us up at 3:30am, we were in the taxi on our way to the Perth International Airport. After a sleepy wait at the airport, we were off, on time, for the 5 and a half hour flight to Kuala Lumpur. I mention that we were on time because we were flying a budget airline, Air Asia, which has some horror stories when it comes to their arrival and departure times being in line with your itinerary.

Air Asia uses Kuala Lumpur's low cost carrier terminal (LCCT), which I would assume doesn't have any many amenities as the major airport. We landed just after 12pm and our ongoing flight was at 3:30pm. After checking at pretty much every restaurant to see if they accept credit cards and finding none, even the KFC at the adjacent food garden and the McDonalds. We eventually found what seemed to be the only place you could order food and pay with a credit card. It was a cafe and the food was overpriced, but neither of us wanted to take Malaysian Rinnets out of an ATM and get dinged the withdrawal fees just to pay for $10 worth of food. The RM$5.90 I had with me leftover from my Borneo trip, paid for a bottle of water and an ice cream cone from Mcdonalds.

Landing in Bangkok (10 minutes EARLY) was a nice surprise, although I think our early arrival delayed our baggage from arriving on the baggage carousel earlier as well, because it took a long time. From the time we landed, passed through immigration and left the airport in a taxi, it took about 45 minutes. We hopped in a taxi and the driver offered to charge me a flat rate of 600 baht which would include the fare, the 50 airport surcharge and the 70 baht in tolls. I told him to go with the meter. Arriving at the train station about 40 minutes later, the total came to about 580 baht. So I saved myself a whole 20 baht (about 75 cents) :)

We had an hour to wait until our train was scheduled to depart, so we walked across the street and stopped at the first restaurant with a sign for Chang beer. we ordered a large one for Dave, a small one for me and two Pad Thai. The pad thai, according to Dave, was "all time!". I thought it was ok.
Bangkok General Tips & Advice review
Train rides in Thailand
I've now taken two 2nd class sleeper trains in Thailand. The first, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (approximately 700 baht), and the second from Bangkok t… read entire review
photo by: halilee