Too sick to stay, so back to Oz I go

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

The following entry was written on April 14, 2010

After a day and a half in Saigon, not feeling well whatsoever, frantic calls to my mom and boyfriend saying how unwell and unhappy I was, I made the decision to take a taxi to the airport and book the next Air Asia flight back to Australia. Fortunately my working visa had been approved and I was able to go back to Australia whenever I wanted. I can tell you that being sick alone, in a very humid climate, in a foreign country, that is busy, loud and dirty, is not a very fun experience. By this point I had taken the antibiotics the British doctor gave me in Phnom Penh but I was feeling very light headed, dizzy and exhausted. Basically in no condition to go out in the heat and do any sightseeing.

As a warning for anyone using Air Asia ... I called them to change my flights but was told I needed to make the change no earlier than 48 hours before the flight. I thought that meant 48 hours before my original flight, but it means before both the changed flight and the new flight. So even though my flight was departing a week later, I couldn't cancel that and use my credit for a flight that day. It was Thursday and the earliest I could fly out was Saturday. By this point I was feeling so miserable, I decided to lose the credit and book new flights.

The taxi ride to the airport took 20 minutes, 20 minutes quicker than the drive would have taken had it not been the Tet holiday week. Once at the airport I was able to book flights to KL and then the overnight flight to Perth. The travel time went by in a blur and I was just wanting to be home.

Dave was there at 6am to pick me up at the airport and I've never been so happy to see anyone in my life. I was looking forward to my own bed so much I wouldn't have been able to put it into words!