Morning visit to Sukhothai Historical Park and travelling to Lop Buri

Sukhothai Travel Blog

Sukhothai Historic Park
I arrived in Sukhothai the previous evening and decided to stay in New Sukhothai instead of closer to the park. It ended up being the wrong decision because the new city is just like any other Thai city but with nothing to do. Next time, I'd be staying closer to the park because at least in that area it's quiet and not so dirty. Eating at Poo Restaurant was the highlight of my evening.

My stopover in Sukhothai was to visit the historical park, which is about 45 square kilometres. The park's divided up into sections, and I visited the two more popular, the central and north sections. My guide book recommended hiring a bicycle for 30 baht, which were located across the street from where the share "taxi" dropped us off.
Sukhothai Historic Park

I arrived around 8:30 and was on my way out of the city a couple hours later. I remember reading how you could easily spend a day there, but I'm not exactly sure what you'd be doing. I had fun riding my bike around the central zone, and then onto the main road to try to figure out how to get to the northern section, and then a quick jaunt through the northern bit, but after a couple hours, I was ruined-out.

Saying that, the giant buddhas were pretty cool, but it was very difficult to picture what the area looked like 800 years ago. Still a good time though. Maybe having someone with you would make it a bit more fun. Hmmmmm.

To leave the park, I jumped into one of the shared "buses?" and the driver proceeded to drive 15 km/hr for the 13km journey back into town. I thought maybe he was driving so slow because he was mad he only had me as his only passenger, but as we picked up passengers and dropped them off, he still drove soooo slowly.
Sukhothai Historic Park
I had taken the same kind of transport to the park and that driver drove the speed limit, so I'm not sure what was going on. I finally arrived back at my hotel, found my backpack and hopped on a Sukhothai version of a tuk tuk to the bus station. Instead of the driver being in the front with the sitting beach on the back like the tuks tuks in Chiang Mai, it's like he's driving a motorcycle with a giant basket on the front. So the only thing between my face and the road was a tiny bar just above my knee. It's a good thing there were no flies in the air, or I would have swallowed them all.

The bus from Sukhothai left for Phitsanulok and took about an hour.
Sukhothai Historic Park
On the bus there were all Thais, including one monk dressed in the monk robes and then me.

Arriving in Phitsanulok I thought I'd take the train instead of the bus because the train station in Lop Buri is central in the town and the bus station is located outside a bit. Also, typically, I enjoy trains more than buses, but not this time! The best part though was the ride to the train station. For 60 baht, a guy drove me on his motorcycle. He had my big backpack between his knees and the steering wheel, himself, then me wearing my smaller backpack. Being a passenger on a motorcycle swerving through the city streets was definitely the most exhilarating taxi method so far. Oh and he had a helmet and I didn't haha

The train was a "rapid" train, which I decided to wait for an hour and a half to catch because it would still make it into Lop Buri before the regular train that was leaving in a half hour.
Sukhothai Historic Park
I paid 150 baht instead of 50 baht for the other train. The train ended up being an hour late and got me into Lop Buri two hours later than regularly scheduled. I was in a 3rd class seat, which means fans and no A/C (I totally forgot to ask for A/C!). Because it's hot, all the windows were down so random bugs kept coming in through the windows when it got dark. Also, there was a woman, her 3ish year old son, a medium sized puppy and a kitten. The dog kept wanting to get off the seat and she or her son would hit it, the kid would throw the kitten around, hit or pinch the dog, or generally just terrorize the two of them. It was so difficult not to say something but there's not much I could do. I had to sit there for 4 hours and watch them. My ipod helped until it died, then I just stared out the window into the darkness for almost an hour. Needless to say, I was very, very happy to get off the train. There's no announcements (at least not in English) to know which stop is coming up and since we were running so late, I couldn't go by the time either. So every station, I'd get up and try to see the one English sign to make sure I didn't miss my stop!

Finally, I arrived in Lop Buri!
My motorcycle taxi