Monkeys, shopping and my first balinese massage

Ubud Travel Blog

monkeys in the monkey sanctuary
Thanks to jet lag, I was awake at 4am. After trying to sleep for two hours, I decided to get out of bed and head down to the beach for a stroll. The beach is about 400m off the main road and I wasn't quite sure how to get down to it. I found a side street, then walked through a resort in construction and then through a hotel's restaurant and found the beach. I'm sure there are easier ways to get there, but this was the best I could figure out in my sleepy stupor.

There is a brick path along the length of the beach and at 6am there were people out walking and running and lots of resort workers setting up for the day. The view was amazing, with mountains off in the distance and the walk was an excellent way to start the day.

To get to Ubud I booked a spot on the 10:15 Perama shuttle bus.
monkeys in the monkey sanctuary
For 60,000 IDR I was picked up at my hotel, transferred to the Sanur Perama office, driven to Perama's Ubud office and transferred to my hotel. I was picked up at 9:45 and arrived at my accommodation in Ubud around 11:30, so not as convenient as a taxi but about half the price.

I'm staying at Ubud Bungalows and have been impressed since the moment I checked in. Wayan, the owner, is incredibly friendly and helpful. He asked me if I had plans for the next few days and asked if I wanted to join a trip another girl was wanting to do but needed another person. The trip consists of leaving the hotel at 3am, driving to Mount Batur, hiking up it for sunrise and then a few other sights on the way back. At first I thought it was a crazy idea but after looking it up on the internet, I decided to give it a go. I also met the girl I'll be day tripping with, who happens to be in my bungalow, on the bottom floor. We spent the evening at a spa where I had an hour long Balinese massage, which is like a Swedish massage with a bit of Thai massage mixed in. For 100,000 IDR (approx $10) I had a massage in a room that was open to the outside which was a rice field. It was raining and the rain falling against the roof was incredibly soothing. It was the best $10 I've spent in a long time!

Earlier in the day I walked down to the Monkey Sanctuary which is a park with a few paths to temples and a grave yard and lots and lots of monkeys. You're warned that they will grab anything and everything they can get their hands on. I sat my 1.5 litre water bottle down for about 10 seconds and a monkey was already trying to run away with it. I saw a girl who told me to be careful because a monkey had just bit her. After that I decided to keep to areas with other people. You can buy bananas at the entrance to feed them but I decided not to. After seeing the monkey going crazy and attacking each other over food in Thailand, I thought it would be a better experience to watch other people feeding them. The highlight was a small pool of water where monkeys were jumping off branches at each other and wrestling in the water. Those guys are very agile and quick and made for some quality entertainment.

So far I'm starting to fall in love with Ubud and very happy with my decision to keep away from Kuta!
Ubud