Hike up Mount Batur

Ubud Travel Blog

view from mount batur
I'm not going to lie, 2:30am came very quickly. By 3am me and Heidi, my downstairs neighbour at the hotel, were in the shuttle bus en route for Mount Batur. We arrived just under an hour later and were dropped off at the parking lot where there were several other groups getting ready to head up the volcano. (Yes mom, I forgot to mention it's an active volcano, but hasn't erupted in many, many years!).

The hike up was lit by our flashlights and was along a path about 3 feet wide and made of loose rocks and sand. The first half hour was relatively flat and then gradually became pretty steep. Fortunately since I have a bunch of things with me due to my move to Australia that I wouldn't have normally packed, I had hiking shoes, a head lamp and hiking poles.
view from mount batur
I was accidently well prepared and had a pretty comfortable climb. We had 2 hours to reach the top and the climb would have taken less than an hour and a half but we stopped a couple times for water and "catch our breath" breaks.

We had a guide and a man who walked up the mountain with the sole purpose to try to guilt us into buying soft drinks from him at the top. I can't even remember the last time I drank pop (except for being used as mix in an alcoholic drink) so there was no way after hiking up a mountain I was going to crave anything but water. He had held my friend's hand for half of the hike up because she had really inappropriate shoes for hiking and kept slipping. Instead of tipping him, she bought a bottle of water from him. I wasn't a big fan of the guilt trip he was putting on us, so I refused to buy anything.
view from mount batur

We arrived at the top at 5:30 and waited until just after 6 for the sun to start peaking out from behind the mountain. It was extremely foggy and for awhile we didn't think we'd see the sun come out. Having grown up in Nova Scotia, where it's foggy half the year, I knew the sun would come up and burn it off. Eventually it did, and the view to Gunung Agung (the highest mountain in Bali) and the valley and lake below, were amazing.

At the top there is a small building where you can sit and eat lunch and then men also have a small cafe where they serve coffee, tea and a few other hot drinks. Waiting at the top was cold and a hot tea was well appreciated! There is also a few dogs, tiny puppies and monkeys. The tiny puppies were chasing the monkeys away, which I was surprised at.
view from mount batur
I would have though the monkeys owned the place, but these tiny dogs were not being bullied around!

After admiringly the sunrise, we hiked over to the giant crater and then over to another view point. We then, sadly, started the hike down the mountain. Going down ended up taking just as long as going up and was very slippery with all the loose rocks. I gave Heidi my hiking poles because she was having a very tough time not slipping down the hill in her non-treaded shoes.

We had out driver for the morning, and our first stop was a coffee plantation and shop. He explained how their most expensive coffee is made by feeding the beans to a small rodent looking animal, having the animal digest it and then take the un-digested beans, clean them and roast them like other coffee beans.
the hut where the make shift cafe was run
We paid 20,000 to try it and it tasted just like regular coffee.

The next stop was a temple. The highlight of the stop was the market you had to walk through to leave. It was lined with shops and me and Heidi both ending up buying things we didn't want because they were so pushy.

We then drove through several villages and ended up at a rice terrace which was built along the side of the hill. The view was amazing and pictures don't do it justice. After more driving through villages we were back at our hotel, exhausted but thrilled with the day. After all of this, we were still back at the hotel by noon.

The afternoon was spent at the pool and getting a Balinese massage. This time I went to Shangri-la Spa and had a male masseuse. It was quite a different experience having a man do the massage, especially when you're laying on your back with a small cloth across your boobs, while he massages your stomach. At least he didn't do the boob massage like the woman the day before had done!

In the evening, we went to a Jazz Club, which had an excellent blues band playing. The place was very busy and our food took awhile but the atmosphere was great and the workers were very friendly and talkative. After a few Bintangs I was exhausted and happily went home to pass out!
view from mount batur
the hut where the make shift cafe …
the hut where the make shift cafe…
tired, sweaty but worth it