Getting to Koh Phagnan after 33 hours of travelling

Surat Thani Travel Blog

Our train ride was uneventful, but noisy. I suggested we take the night train after the excellent experience I had on a night train to Chiang Mai in November. However, this train was mostly filled with Westerners, including a group of girls who started doing shots at 7:30 when the train pulled away from the station. This made it tough for me to sleep, as did the narrow bunk, but Dave can sleep through anything and passed out right away.

A large group of people (presumably heading for Koh Tao), got off the train at Chumpoun. By that time we were an hour late. We were scheduled to arrive in Surat Thani at 6:47am. We eventually arrived just passed 8:30am. Our goal was to make the 10am ferry to Koh Phagnan but the bus takes an hour and a half. Still asleep, we were accosted by a man selling taxis and we settled for the first price he requested, 1500 baht. In hindsight we could have bartered him down, but I was too exhausted from the lack of sleep to try. The 90ish km drive took us just over an hour and we arrived at the ferry terminal with 10 minutes to spare. Tickets were purchased at the information counter and cost 450 baht for two of us.

The ferry is quite big with seating mostly inside with some seats on the upper, outside deck. Inside there were tvs blaring Thai tv shows, which kept me from sleeping (once again, Dave had no problem sleeping in random places).

About 2 and a half hours later (it's supposed to take two hours and I'm not sure how even the ferry managed to be late since we left on time), we arrived in Thong Sala, on Koh Phangnan.
Surat Thani