Flight to Bali

Bangkok Travel Blog

Unlike my first trip across the Pacific Ocean when I had three seats to myself on the plane, this plane ride was completely full. This meant 14 hours stuck next to the window. Halfway through the flight, in an attempt to be well rested so I could stay awake during the night in the airport, I took a sleeping pill and the second half of the flight is a blur, although I'm not sure I actually slept.

I'm usually impatient when it comes to lines, but knowing I had seven hours to kill until my next flight, I was calm and relaxed, waiting to get processed through immigration. Being Canadian there is no visa fee, so it's very quick and easy. I hadn't seen my bags since I dropped them off at check-in in Calgary three flights ago, and had the delayed flight and run to the gate transferring in Vancouver. I was pleasantly surprised to see my bags on the baggage carousal, waiting for me to pick them up.

I found the left luggage on the departures level (just after check-in aisle N), dropped my bags off and proceeded to find ways of entertaining myself. After wandering around the airport's various levels and having no luck finding padded seats, I settled for an area of metal seats at one of the far ends of level 2. Surprisingly, there were lots of people who chose to sleep at the airport and it didn't feel unsafe at all. I was a bit concerned with security but there were people everywhere, most of them sleeping or trying to, and lots of people wandering around like me, trying to kill time. It wasn't until the last hour before check in that I found a bunch of padded seats hidden on level 2, although they were full of sleeping people anyway.

Check in at Air Asia opened at 4 am (2 hours before my 6:15am departure) and I joined the many people waiting there to check in. On the other side of security there is lots of shopping, although mainly high end, such as Armani, Prada, Coach, duty free etc. I took advantage of the 2 hour wait by finally claiming some padded seats of my own for a quick (unsuccessful) nap.
photo by: halilee