Dive Trip Day 3

Surin Island Travel Blog

Over night the captain sailed the boat north towards the Surin Islands National Park so we could dive at Richleau Rock. It's supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, dive sites in Thailand. Unfortunately, the weather was not co-operating and we ended up having a very bumpy sail. I was awake off and on from 2:30am, which was when I woke up after almost falling off the top bunk.

6:30am: wake up call after about three hours sleep.

7:00am: Dive briefing and then first dive for 50 minutes at Richelieu Rock. The waves were crashing pretty hard into the boat, so it was tough entering the water. The crew had put a rope down that we used to pull ourselves through the waves to where we entered for the dive. The dive site had a lot of current as well, which made for tough navigating through the reef. The reef itself was covered in purple coral and anemone coral (where nemos live) so there were plenty of those. We also saw two cuttlefish mating and another family of cuttlefish with two small babies. We also saw an octopus, some moray eels and a small school of barracuda.

8:00: Hot breakfast and then I went to sleep until I was woken up for dive brief #2.

11:00: Dive #2 briefing and dive at Koh Tahieu for 50 minutes.

12:30: Lunch of stir fried mixed vegetables and octopus and a hot beef thai curry with rice and CHICKEN WINGS!!.

Until 3:00pm: Lounging on the sun deck / napping.

3:00pm: Dive briefing #3 and dive at Koh Tao for 50 minutes. We saw a moray eels, a couple different types of nemos, and a scorpion fish.

Until 7pm: Snack and more lounging / napping. Anton and I decided to skip the night dive and instead spent the time watching Family Guy on my laptop and drinking beer.

9:00pm: Dinner and watching the slideshow prepared by our professional photographer / diver.

10:00pm: Bed time