Day Trip outside Kanchanaburi

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

After being accosted by a travel agency lady, I decided to spend my last full day in Thailand doing a day tour outside Kanchanaburi. My day trip ended up being me and the boys: one from England, 4 from New Zealand and one from Australia. The aussie and the kiwis were all travelling together and were a lot of fun.

The trip began at 8am with an hour mini bus ride out to Erawan waterfalls. The park has a walking trail that leads to 9 (I think) different waterfalls. Since it's now dry season, levels 8 and 9 are dried up so we walked to the first seven. When we arrived at #7 we had a chance to go swimming. There were small fish (about the size of your hand) that would nip at your feet when you were in the water. It was a bit freaky and very ticklish!

After a fantastic buffet style lunch at one of the park restaurants, we drove an hour to Hellfire Pass. It's a section of the Death Railway that was completed in less than two months, which consisted of a 20 metre deep section of rock that had to be crushed using hand held machinery. It got it's name because the men worked 18 hours days and at night it looked "hellish" due to the fires used by the workers, as were the conditions in which they worked. Seeing how deep and long the section was, really made the point clear as to how dangerous and horrific the forced labour working conditions really were. The railway goes along the river in jungle, so the humidity, mosquitos and various tropical illnesses claimed many lives. On a positive note, the view across the valley over to the mountain range dividing Thailand and Burma was absolutely beautiful.

From here we drove to see a cave and then take the tourist train back to town, travelling along the section of the Death Railway that hadn't been destroyed. Since I was getting the minibus to Bangkok at 5:30pm, I only had the chance to go on the train for 15 minutes or so and when with the tour leader and minibus driver back to the town, while the rest of the group rode it back to town and over the River Kwai bridge. I did get to see some fantastic river views and wasn't really disappointed to spend less time on a train than I was supposed to.

The day was a lot of fun and it helped that the group of guys were so entertaining and had plenty of stories to tell about their travels so far.
photo by: wbboy29