On the run from Dakar and south to Gambia

The bush camp Travel Blog

My hair grows so quickly! you sure do look preutty!!

Our breakfast was bread and a single triangle of cheese (laughing cow), jam and coffee, hmmmm  The local guy got all defensive when he was questioned where the rest of it was.  People are so nice to get you in the door but when they have your money the attitude changes, no smiles (the first words he said to us that he want paying so he could leave).  We took our photos of us by the beach in the morning, squeezed and pushed our way back out of the Dakar traffic once more, honking the horn as we went.

In Senegal Orange mobile phone are aggressively advertising.  They are following the disgusting camphene Coke and Pepsi did in Central and South America painting the logos all over the place, painting peoples houses and things for free.

Dakar beach
  It’s a real eye sore taking advantage of peoples poverty to advertise.  I saw Orange t-shirts, houses, cars, trucks (no Orange men and bands marching here though!) and large billboards spoiling the country side every few kms where no other advertising was found.  I wished I had a pot of black paint and painted out the orange squares making the billboards all black.  It’s disgusting how Orange  care so little about their negative impact in a poor country the pursuit of profit, money and self promotion.

On the way south we stopped for lunch that had a couple of BMW police motorbikes parked out front and I managed to knock off one of the mirrors walking past it and couldn’t get it back on, set up on the bike and dashed inside before fined me…  later we went through a crazy busy town and at the south side the market was in full swing, lots of people selling things and people busy buying and looking that turned the road into a track through the people.  Once clear our road went from fresh new asphalt to a dirt road full of dust that got kicked up with passing traffic.  I almost lost my bag on the back because it was so rough and bumpy (was glad I had my knobble tyres still on).  Much further south the asphalt was back but it was easier to ride the dirt by the road as the cars did because of the huge amount of pot holes.  The road did get better and for the first time that day I felt better, people here also seemed happy and waved.  Groups of round straw huts where fenced in together with straw about six foot high, either to keep animals out or animals in?

We were about 20kms from the Gambia border and looked for a place to bush camp.  Tim walked off into tall grass and trees quickly disappearing while I looked after the bikes waving at the locals passing, later I saw him appear way down the road where a track came out.  There was many tracks hidden from view, Tim rode off the road and I followed.  I couldn’t see any tracks to start with and we rode through the long grass and bushes then there were defined tracks, looked as if something was pulled out of the bush with a donkey the way the grass was flattened.  After about 1km switching to different tracks we found a nice hidden peaceful spot by a big tree

While setting up camp I saw that my pannier racking was broken, the rough road and the weight took its toll, plus the bolt was a fraction too long and wasn’t tight enough.  Made a temporary repair, ate, talked, drank tea, had a small fire, listen to the BBC World Service and Tim punctured his Termarest mat for sleeping on my cooker (Oh Nooooooo!).

My hair grows so quickly!  you sur…
My hair grows so quickly! you su…
The bush camp