The grand tour of West Africa hospitals continues

Limbe Travel Blog

It was a short bendy ride to the coast at Limbe for some R&R and there was the yellow truck with the happy faces of Grant and his girlfriend Andy at the Hotel Miramdre, we had a good chat about the route down, it turned out Grant had pulled out a guy from the mud hole with the high trench we rode over.  I treated myself to a nice aircon room and then went to find the local hospital, my eye was not sore but the vision was very bad and I was getting concerned.  I was told to come back the next day at 8am when the eye specialist would be in.

The next day I was at the hospital at 7.45am to meet the doctor.  Explained the history, showed the medications I was taking and had an examination.  She thought it could be an allergy to the climate more than an infection.  Anyway now I was on the hard stuff, eye drops with steroids (Arrrrrrrrr!).  This is serious stuff I knew but this is Africa and I needed to get this sorted as I don’t have the luxury of time, Gabon and the Congo’s lay ahead.

I power washed the bike on the way back for breakfast at the hotel.  Spent the rest of the day cleaning the bike with diesel, the chain etc.  Washed/oiled the air filter and looked over the bike, Katie was just fine.  Matt had some trouble starting his KTM and I got my wee laptop with the repair manual out, he was getting intermittent spark.  We spent the following day swapping parts between our bikes (the advantage of riding the same machines), battery, ignition coil, comparing resistances/voltages between the bikes stator.  As usual the fault was simple, very corroded connectors from the stator to the CDI unit.  Cleaned them up and she was firing again.

We meet a guy Dave and his wife.  He had been in Africa since 1998 I think, raising money to buy mosquito nets and give them out to villages, this greatly reduces contracting malaria.  Nice people and with one arm and one leg he shows a determination not to let a disability stop him form driving his Landrover all over Africa helping people.  Clive and Tanya from the UK also showed up in there Landrover, meet them in Abuja.  Funny the way we all meet up in different countries.

photo by: Bluenose