Wild dogs - nill, road kill - 1

Western Sahara Travel Blog

looking north

This has been our longest day, maybe because we had the bikes loaded before we went for breakfast.  Nigel had put his netbook on charge before breakfast so an hour later when we went to set off his bike had no power to start.  A helping hand from the owner and a guest and we had it going.  The roads where long and straight today and with many, many police stops and the fitches we printed saved us 15-20minuets stopping each time, plus the police where very happy when we handed them over as it was in French and very easy for them to copy it into the logs.  Later in the day in middle of now where a huge bull faced dog ran full pelt to get a piece of me, I was on the menu!  You have to resist and not kick these animals, not because you don’t want to hurt them but the opposite.

looking south
  A dog could never get through the biking boots but if it held onto your foot it could very easily rip your knee joint.  I opened the throttle and watch as passed just before it got to the road and Nigel gave it a blast of the horn and swerved away from it.  I had visions of lost bikers and there machines being dragged off by this surprisingly big animal to be eaten, 10minuets later we saw his friend, equally as big but must have taken on more than he could bite as the flies swarmed over it’s swollen body.  Adding to the rubbish by the roads.  Tonight we are with the kite surfers near Daklha in a tent again, and a lovely spot to be.  Tomorrow is a big day, we find out if we can enter Mauritania by getting a 3day transit visa