Up into St Louis city life

Saint Louis Travel Blog

The road in

St Louis has old colonial style buildings to it in the usual shabby neglected state, fading and crumbling away.  We bumped into Tim on the way in so we all set off, with the Landrover crew to find a place to stay on this small narrow island.  It has this fantastic old fully steel bridge you ride over that has its far share of patches over the years.  John, Tim and myself shared a room in a place that had off street parking for the bikes (always keep your bike secure!) plus the building opposite had a army guard patrolling with a M16, made sure and give him a smile and a wave.

The Dutch couple also appeared in town, the couple I knew from Morocco who were also had no visa to cross into Mauritania.

Fishing boats from the bridge
  Was good to see them again and they also brought news and three Spanish people who were kidnapped on the road in Mauritania.  Seems they were some kind of official workers and had been targeted.  Later that month I heard the French, UK and others where stopping its citizens from travelling into Mauritania.

We had two days in St Louie that they say has some of the best music.  John and me popped into the night club next to our hotel for a night cap before bed for a look.  It was long and thin with the bar along it and the dance floor in the middle.  Against the wall was a large floor to ceiling mirror and people danced facing it, all dancing with themselves!!  Checking out there own moves while smiling, I had to try and keep a straight face but it was so funny.

Two days was enough in this town for me and I have a strange dark cloud above me.  I put it down to a couple of beers to many with everyone but it was more than that.  My mood was strange the night before talking to Paulina, I knew it was time and the St Louis under current wasn’t a nice vibe (Tim also noticed something with this vibe).  Maybe it was us white people in a old white peoples buildings, mixing with the people of Senegal who now own it to make money off the tourists, locals begging and selling stuff, the old slave trade ran from here, the under current of divisions and greed…

St Louis street life