Time to RUN! to Timbuktooooooo!!

Serekunda Travel Blog

My time here in the Gambia is coming to an end.  Had various blood tests back at the hospital (which has the green painted slogan “Allah is the greatest”) they came up negative, including the malaria one the Cuban doctor today me and Cuban doctors are generally very good.  Tomorrow morning will be the last time I’ll be woken at 6am to “Allah ack baa”  (Allah is the greatest) via loud speaker.  Hopefully bush camping tomorrow and then across the border early.

The past days I’ve been helping out at Riders For Health, looking at another KTM 640Adventure that turned out to be very sick.  With the help of my repair manual which they now have a copy hopefully she’ll be going tomorrow.  Lots of people come down from Europe with bikes and cars for various charities, bring them down and leaving them, misguided intentions.  I feel the real people that are getting the rewards and the people bring them down themselves, the feel good factor.  Once on of these vehicles break down they can quickly turn into a piece of junk because the people don’t know how to repair them and can’t get the parts.  Riders is testimony to this with all the funky European machines rusting away, I didn’t want to see the older sister to my bike doing the same so I did my best (plus the people at Riders helped me a lot with the hospital).  The people here need simple bikes which they can get the parts for.  Speaking of which Nige’s bike is split laid open waiting for his parts.  He just got back from a three day ride with Riders up country on one of their bikes, didn’t sound like safe riding at night with no head light then him dashing off at 140km/h ahead of the others on a dirt track, dodgy steering bearing, well that's what he told me…?

Anyways, i'm stocked up on spices and food, off on my own for the rest of the trip and i have Timbukto in my sights for xmas!

John: keep an eye out for me and email me where you all are!!

photo by: wipr