South Africa for the last time, and one last...

Johannesburg Travel Blog

No pannier boxes!!!!!!!!! 8)

Before we returned to Johannesburg we stayed in a hostel we used a few times before in Nelspruit, hired a wet and dry cleaner and got to work on the Landy, she had a huge amount of dust collected during the trip.  We spent a couple of days cleaning and spraying shiny stuff making the Land Rover look her best again, took it to be polished.  The Landy was advertised online.  We returned to stay with Corrie, Reon and the boys, and started to think about shipping the bike.  But that ride on the new 660 Tenerie planted a seed that was fast growing, get back on my bike one last time before shipping it to the UK where it would be placed in storage.

The peeps from the course
  I booked an offroad course with CountryTrax, hired a low loader trailer in J’burg and what followed was 3days of pure fun!!  Riding my KTM without panniers was bliss and managed to brush up on a few riding techniques and have lots of fun.  Paulina could really see my love for riding.  Happy days!

Back in Johannesburg there were a flow of people interested in the Land Rover, some ejjits also!  One wanted me to sign it over to him before he gave me the cash.  Another wanted me to drive to a place to meet him and if he liked it he’d pay cash and put it on a lorry to Namibia (Hmmm, you’ll need paper work for customs… more like take it off me and I might just walk away in one piece!).  It got sold, cash sent to the UK, bike, roof tent, etc (plus that 32kg hippo) was created up and shipped.

hahahaha, it happens to everyone!
  Paulina had gone back to Chile and I booked a flight north to the UK.

I would like to say a special thanks to Corrie, Reon and the boys for all there help because without them our life would have been more difficult, using their address for buying and selling the Land Rover, storing my bike, letting us stay and treating us with such welcoming arms (all I did was help a stranded biker, Reon, by the side of the road one afternoon, maybe it’s Karma), like so many people in South Africa.  Thanks!  And your time to visit the next time!!

It felt very strange leaving Africa, for one I was back in a plane (something I haven’t missed).  Sat in J’Burg airport with a beer and my last Cuban it didn’t seem real, I had spent a year crossing Africa...

No pannier boxes!!!!!!!!!  8)
No pannier boxes!!!!!!!!! 8)
Desert training