Returning the Karma and into the mountain Kingdom

Sterkpruit Travel Blog

Leaving Cape Town was difficult but once on the N1 highway heading north-east it was good being back on the bike.  Before collecting the Landrover in Johannesburg we were aiming for Lesotho, enter to the south and exit up north, our first boarder crossing together on the bike.  The first day took us out of the Western Cape and into the Eastern Cape spending all the time on the N1 sleeping the night at small village of Bethulie at a bikers B&B.

The next morning left us within travelling distance to Lesotho but it wasn’t long on the road when another biker with a KTM waved us down and as I pulled in just past him, I could see his hands covered in oil.  This was Reon who had just bought a second hand 990 down south and decided to take a more scenic route home to Johannesburg with a good few hundred of kms still to do.  He had a small hole in a rubber oil hose that sprayed oil out all over his boot (this is how he noticed), tyre and rear brakes!  I cut a small piece of rubber from an old inner tube that I made elastic bands from and together with a metal jubilee clip screwed around the oil hose to hold the rubber firmly in place plugging the hole and the repair was complete.  We put all the oil from a metal water bottle screwed to my rear rack, I like to be self sufficient and prepared for most things, it was lucky for someone like me to be passing on this lonely country road!  But if this was a BMW we would have needed a computer to get it going again and costing lots of bucks! (I like having fun at the BMWs, lol hahaha)  Off we went to the next town, I monitor the repair riding alongside Reon, it took a while for all the excess sprayed oil to drip off but all seemed dry after a few kms.  At the next town we filled our bikes and bough oil.  Swapped phone numbers and asked Reon to text me to let me know he got back safely.

Before crossing into Lesotho we filled with fuel at a small town close by, it was coming mid afternoon and listening to the voices in the head this time we decided to find a camping in the South African side.  Helping Reon had used up time, time for an unknown border crossing and finding a place for the night.  There was absolutely no regrets spending time helping him, but I fancied a calm afternoon and now preferring a morning crossing into Lesotho giving us the rest of the day to explore and get a feel for this new country.

Sterkpruit