Africa for beginners...the Gambia and visiting Riders for Health

Serekunda Travel Blog

Packed roll on roll off ferry to Banjul

The border crossing into Gambia was really easy and free!  We travelled it separate as bikers together I think were more inclined to get ripped of but poor solo travellers could argue better.  When buying the tickets for the ferry over to Banjul I weighed my bike, 300kilos he told me.  156kilos for the bike 15kilos of fuel left 129kilos of extra gear on the bike.  Not sure how accurate the weight was as Tim pointed out it’s for weighing heavy lorries.

The roll on roll off ferry was packed with hundreds people and vehicles, we were lucky and rode straight past all the vehicles queuing to be first onboard without waiting.  I took shelter from the sun by a large fuel tanker keeping an eye on my bike.  Once on the other side and a visit to the cash machine it was burger and ice cold coke went down well.

A local on a bike took us to the Riders for Health where we met some people that took us to the place where Nige was staying.  Also saw Niges bike at Riders getting fixed, it was stripped down.  Riders provide transport for various aid workers so health treatment can reach everyone and provide some ambulances.  They maintain them and do there own repairs and is well organised, and completely run by local people once it is setup.

We followed one of the Rider team to Nige’s hotel.  The hotel was expensive but we got the price down.  Hot water, large rooms, clean towels every day, good breakfast and most important secure parking for the bikes, happy days!

Packed roll on roll off ferry to B…
Packed roll on roll off ferry to …
photo by: wipr