Relaxing in the quiet surroundings of Santo Mauro - Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

I'm here on business for a day full of meetings tomorrow. Thought I would get in slightly early on the Sunday and enjoy what Madrid had to offer.

I'm staying in the Hotel AC Santo Mauro in Madrid. I'm told that it's one of the best hotels that Madrid has to offer and it certainly ticks the boxes in terms of comfort. However, it's located in a quiet and primarily residential neighbourhood about 15 minutes taxi ride from the centre. That said, I read somewhere that ages ago this was formerly the residence of a Spanish Marquis. It's been furnished to retain some of that former splendour - high ceilings, big windows overlooking beautiful courtyards, parquet flooring and seductive lighting.

Unfortunately, Sunday afternoon is not a good day to arrive if you're looking for hustle and bustle. I wandered around for half an hour and thankfully found possibly the only bar in the area that was open. You know the kind of place - people seated at the bar being served by an (initially grumpy) barkeep who warms the longer you spend there. I had a lovely coffee and met an older gentleman called Antonio who told me that he was the head prosecutor for Madrid. Thankfully Antonio and I were able to communicate as we both shared French as a common language. What interesting stories he had to tell!

After a nice coffee with Antonio, I ambed back to the Santo Mauro for my dinner.

Would I pick it if I was visiting Madrid on my own dollar? Possibly not. It's quiet and serene but a little bland. I like my hotels to be buzzing with interesting people!

Oh well, up early tomorrow and work, work, work.

Madrid Hotels & Accommodations review
It ticks the boxes if you're looking for somewhere quiet and luxurious. Rooms are large with high ceilings and good lighting. Typical mod-cons includi… read entire review
1,054 km (655 miles) traveled