Life at Oxford

Oxford Travel Blog

connect 4 in the pub
    I realized that since I've been so busy blogging about all of my exciting weekend trips, I've neglected to talk about what life is like here in Oxford, where I spend most of my time! Life here on the campus of Worcester ("Woosta") is great and laid back. Although it rains at least a little on most days, the weather gets up into the upper 60s-lower 70s and the scenery is beautiful. The groundskeepers do a wonderful job of keeping up with all of the grass and gardens. It is fun to walk around the grounds, as there are many neat pathways between classrooms, the playing field, and the lake, where many ducks tend to abound.
Fourth of July!

My dorm room is very nice, as I lucked out with one of the new ones. Although I am far away from the heart of campus, its only about a 5 minute walk to anywhere, and I've got my own bathroom, which makes it worth it. My typical day goes like this:
    I first wake up at about 8:45 have a shower and quick breakfast in my room before heading to Statics class at 9:40. All classes here are an hour and a half. Our statics professor is Vitali Volovoi, a Russian guy, and he's very nice, which makes the pain-in-the-butt class more bearable. After class, I usually head to my room to take care of business, do homework, and have lunch. Sometimes I might head into town if I need to buy anything. I do this until my next class, English Medieval History, which starts at 1:15.
formal hall
Dr. Moore has some dry humor, which keeps the class interesting, although it is a little more work and reading than I expected. I am looking forward to my class project, however, as I am planning to play some medieval music on a recorder that I just bought. It should be fun teaching myself a new instrument (I hope!).
    After that class, I go back to my room (or maybe into town) and take care of things until about 4pm. That's when people generally go out to play soccer, and we have fun playing for a couple of hours. People of all ages and abilities come out, including girls, professors kids (who all happen to be around Aaron's age and freakin good!), and one professor himself, our own Vitali Volovoi. He's a fun guy; I'm hoping to get some brownie points with the whole soccer connection. He's awesome though, apparently he played in a Russian pro league or something. After soccer, I go back to the room and grab a shower before dinner at 6:30. Dinner is always my favorite part of the day. It is a three course meal, and the desserts are always to die for! Granted the dishes are nothing fancy, but its cool to be served like that all the time. And I always have a cup of tea afterwards which they provide outside of the Hall.
    After dinner can be numerous things, usually which includes Statics homework (which we get every night), taking care of assignments, and other stuff. If I have free time, I might even swing by the pub, which is open until about 11:30 or midnight. Tony the bartender has been there forever, and is hilarious. He gives us cheap beer too. The Fourth of July party he threw for us was great. Before bed, I'm usually reading for my history class. Then the cycle starts all over again.
    I should mention something about the town of Oxford itself. It is so much fun here! There is so much to do in this city, and there is a main pedestrain shopping street which is fun to walk on named Cornmarket, which kind of reminds me of Vienna. There are great bookstores everywhere (I've reserved my Harry Potter book of course), plenty of pubs and places to eat, movie theaters, and even historical stuff. The Eagle and Child pub has a roped off table where J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis used to sit, and Oxford even has its own castle. My favorite place to shop is Sainsbury's. Its a grocery store. I guess I just really love grocery stores due to my love of food. The one I go to is located in Westgate mall (at the end of Cornmarket Street, not a far walk at all). I usually buy supplies for breakfast and lunch, which include different types of crackers and "biscuits," as well as peanut butter, jelly, something the British call "sandwich filler" (some type of flavored tuna, chicken, or cheese salad in mayo), oranges, and maybe other stuff. I also like to just shope around and pick up stuff that strikes my fancy. The mall also has a great place called Primark (kind of like a J.C. Penny) which has great prices on clothes.  Not gonna lie, I bought a bunch of clothes the first week (mostly Oxford stuff), but have restrained myself since.
     Well it seems like I've gone on for a while and not spared many details. A few random comments that I forgot to fit in elsewhere: Harry Potter was awesome. There are a lot of foreign people around town and I'm not sure why. There are a bunch of other American students at some of the other Oxford colleges. We're preparing for a soccer game against the stundents from UGA. The bus and train stations are within walking distance. A guy (called a "Scout") gets my trash every day, and cleans my bathroom, changes my towel and linens, and vacuums once a week. Very nice. We've got Formal Hall Wednesday night (dress up dinner with all the traditions and toasts) which should be fun. Scotland and the British Open this weekend, should be kickin! I've added only a couple of photos for this entry, mainly because I don't carry my camera around town or anything. Hopefully someday I'll be able to get some more pictures around town. Well that's about it for now, keep checking for more updates!
Oxford