20 Jahre Mauerfall

Berlin Travel Blog

Crossing the Wall
It had been a long time I wanted to go and visit Berlin. But everytime, I also had other plans that looked more "exotic", so in the end I always landed somewhere else.
But one cloudy morning of October (it was a Monday. I hate Monday mornings !), a friend tells me : "Hey, look, Berlin is gonna celebrate the 20th birthday of the fall of the wall ! You realize how close it is to us, actually ?". Then I check the date. 9th of November. Do I have anything important planned around this date ? Nope. I call my girlfriend. "Well, I have classes, you know, but... well, yeah, why not ?". The day after, plane tickets are purchased. Two weeks later, I leave, and Alex joins me 2 days after.

Actually, I never checked what was going to happen to celebrate that.
Fence
I didn't know there would be a free concert of U2, the MTV music awards, many other bands playing all around the city, many exhibitions, presidents coming for a speech, ... I think I didn't even care. I wasn't going to Berlin to celebrate. I was just going to visit. Then I realized that maybe this date was a bad idea : so many people ! so many tourists ! But actually, this was the good thing : everyone was in the "places-to-be". All the rest of the town was almost empty. And I think visiting Pfaueninsel (the Island of the Peacocks) in autumn, with nobody around, was the best thing to do on this famous Monday. Such great colors, such a quietness ! So in the end, we managed to see and do lots of great stuff (even cultural ones on the 10th, when everybody was already gone), avoiding the crowds.
Lines
We even got to a small "underground" pub were a "fancy party" was happening. Dress code : mafia of the 20s. Swing band playing, poker tables, roulette, gun shooting, pool, "killing games", ... At times, we were even wondering if we were not really in the 20s, as everything (and mostly the atmosphere) looked so genuine.
Other nice experience was to look for a soup restaurant a friend advised us. Quite far away from the center. To get there and realize that it was closed on Sunday. To go to the closest restaurant, and to see people eating "Mummy Choucroute", like the hugest plate you can imagine, and for only 10 euros, and mummy, yeah, that was yummy ! Thank you, chance !

So yeah, Berlin is told to be a city were many people come to do some "alternative" and "underground" stuff. To such extent that it's not "alternative" nor "underground" anymore. And I'm happy to think that what we did during these days was some kind of alternative "alternative" stuff. And it was good ! =)
flying_dolphin7 says:
Great blog with those beautiful black&white photos.. i miss Berlin so much and i'm glad that you made it finally;p
Posted on: Nov 18, 2009