... Overview ...

Chicago Travel Blog

Brazil ... it was one of my dream destinations in my life. When I met with some Brazillian people last year, I decided that one day I would definilety visit this beautiful country. So, I did! No regrets :)

Now, I just wanna say that, during my trip in Brazil, I always felt like home. People are so friendly and helpful. However, most of them don't speak English. Especially, if you're travelling by yourself and if you're alone, that means you may lost in translation.

These are my modest recommendations about TravBuddies.

- Check the flight prices daily. You do not need to buy your airplane ticket months before your vacation. You can get some good deals just before 1 week from your flight. In addition, I used United Airlines and it was nice. If you talk about Price/Benefit relation, I recommend UA.

- When you arrive Brazil, do not exchange your money in the airport (if it is not urgent). They apply extra taxes, so I advice you to do it in an exchange office.

- You should know basic words and phrases in Portuguese, and pronounce them CORRECT! Do not mix it with English, or people don't understand you. The first word you need to learn is 'transito' which means 'traffic jam' (LOL). When you arrive Sao Paulo, you'll see it! :)

- You can use bus service travelling between cities. It's way better than the US. Buses are so comfortable, and most of them, there is a complimentary snack and drinking water. Prices are reasonable. (e.g. from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro is around R$80)

- It's important to walk with local people, as always. They know where to go, what to do and the other stuff. Also, as you know, Brazil may be dangerous if you're alone. So don't try to be a hero, find some Brazilian friends. They're so nice and friendly ;)

- When you go to a bar (if you like local music, it would be better Samba-Rock), definitely try Caipirinha (made by Cachaça). It's a traditional Brazillian drink.

- Go to a juice bar, and try Graviola, Mangaba, Goiaba, Acerola, Maracuja, Coconut Water and of course Açai. You'll love them!

- If you're a meat lover, definitely go to a Churrascaria restaurant. You'll feel like you are in the meat heaven!

- If you are in Sao Paulo, and you're a football (soccer) fan, definitely visit Museum of Football at Pacaembu stadium.

- Do not buy any souvenirs from Christ the Redeemer in Rio. It's 3 (maybe 4) times more expensive than from the downtown. Go to downtown, walk around the place they called Sa'ara. You'll find so many things, and there is a souvenir shop on Alfandega Street (Rua da Alfadega) called Silvestre. It's very cheap!

That's all folks!

Muito Obrigado Brasil!

Tchau!

el_wray says:
You're welcome! :) I'd be so happy if I could help a little bit for travbuddies :)
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010
seraphimkarlien says:
Seems like you had a great trip, thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010