From One Extreme to the Other

Springfield Travel Blog

I stayed in Springfield this weekend, and took advantage of a free Saturday morning (before running errands) to play tourist once again.

I went to the Dana-Thomas House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright.  I was just in time for a tour, literally joining a family as they were going through the door to begin.  The house was so interesting.  The architecture and furniture is amazing.  It made me wish I'd paid more attention in my college art history classes; I do remember enjoying the Frank Lloyd Wright lectures, but seeing his work in person made me appreciate what a genius he was.  I thoroughly enjoyed the tour, and was almost mad at myself for putting off going for so long.

The Dana-Thomas House is an extremely extravagant home for its era (well, even today it's an extravagant home) and I couldn't have picked a more down to earth place to eat lunch, completely on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I ate lunch at a diner that I have been dying to try, The Sunrise Cafe, that advertised breakfast served all day.  I am on a quest to find the best pancakes ever, so I knew what I wanted before even setting foot inside.  I glanced at the menu -- saw fruit pancakes and ordered a short-stack of strawberry pancakes.  And they were delicious -- ranking at the top of my list so far.  But, the best part of the Sunrise Cafe was it reminded me of home.  I have been struggling in Springfield, but this place made me think that my dad and his farmer/truckdriving buddies could be sitting at the next table over, drinking coffee and shooting the bull.

From here, it was off to Hobby Lobby, the mall and Meijer to grocery shop...

Springfield