Almost ready

Washington Travel Blog

We're really close to take off.  This trip, more than any other, has taken a lot of strategy and a lot more planning than I've ever done.  I've purchased medical travel insurance, rented an international cell phone, researched how to survive extra long flights across 10 time zones and have double checked my reservations to death!  So when I land I'll let you know what flight strategies worked and what didn't.  I got a whole multipurpose outfit, bought with comfort AND style in mind :)  Packing my mosquito repellant pants in my carryon along with a bathing suit and mini hair mousse, mini hairspray, mini deoderant, eye drops, saline spray, wet wipes (a self contained bath) and wisps for brushing my teeth.  Also included in my carryon I've got books to read, my ipod, eye mask, earplugs, No Jet Lag pills and ambien.  Whew!  Thankfully I'm detail oriented like my mom.  Who knows how much of this stuff I'll actually need but I feel better having it.  Could come in handy if the airlines, heaven forbid, misplace our luggage.  It's been kind of a fun/crazy journey planning and I can't wait to hit the ground running.  Hopefully I won't just hit the ground!  Our itinerary includes starting out at a game lodge near Hoedspruit, then winging back to overnight in Johannesburg, taking an overnight train out to Cape Town, Great White Shark cage diving, a wine tour out to Stellenbosch and our final week in Durban lounging on the beach.  I can't wait!