1 earthquake + 1 typhoon = 3rd trip to Taiwan Oct2009

Taiwan Travel Blog

JyuanSih Waterfall entrance
It was a smooth flight to Taiwan, although I still didn’t get to ride on the Hello Kitty plane :p

We booked first 2 nights at our beloved Grandee Hotel and decided to spend the next 2 nights in Kaohsiung. We have been wanted to see Kaohsiung but it was postpone due to the deadly Morakot Typhoon happened in August.

We went back to Yang Ming Shan (Yang Ming Mountain) National Park for another hike that we missed last trip. The JyuanShi waterfall (Silk waterfall) trail. It was a pleasant walk. We took bus Red 5 from Taipei JianTan metro station (which is the one very close to our hotel) then got off at the Yang Ming Shan main terminal. We then took the shuttle bus 108 that goes around the mountain.
Jyuan Shi waterfall stop is the last stop of the bus ride; it took about 30 minutes to get there! It took us awhile to find the entrance of the trail but once we found it. It was an easy trail. The Silk waterfall is stunning! We walked pass the waterfall and this trail ended at Cing Tian Gang. Cing Tian Gang has a big field that used for grazing cattle that belongs to the locals. There was a Pavilion by the tourist center where is has nice breezes and spectacular view of the green! We were delighted to find out there is a bus S15 (a mini bus) that goes all the way back to Taipei. We took that bus and just got off the station behind our hotel, this is so convenient.

Typhoon Parma has bought a heavy rain to Taipei the next day. We couldn’t go on a hike but decided to visit the most popular landmark in Taipei - Taipei 101 Tower.
Can you believe it; we never get to visit this tower on the first 2 trips… The tower is scary tall. We first took metro to the center and we were told there is a free shuttle bus to Taipei 101. When we got to the bus station, the heavy rain started to bother us, we just hopped on a bus that required us to pay bus fee, however it is not expensive. The bus dropped us right in front of the tower. It was a little after 9 in the morning - great timing as it open for the public at 9am. The ticket officer was so sweet with her big O smile and told us we can get up to 88th and 89th floor only. The 90th and 91st floor is closed. Also, the visibility is not so clear due to the rain and clouds. Do we still want to go up? Of course! I was so happy and thankful of her honesty. This is so much different from the Chinese from China.
trail heading to waterfall
We know the Chinese from China will not tell you the fact that you may not see anything but to collect money from you first. Gosh I love Taiwanese, one more reason to love Taiwan!

We went up to 89th floor by using the world fastest elevator. It took only 37second to arrived 89th floor at 382meters high! It was fun to ride with an elevator attendant - she is so pretty! It was foggy. We could hardly see anything, however when wind blew away the clouds, we could see clearer but have to be very quick before the clouds blocked our sight again. There was one café on each floor (88th and 89th floor), we had a cheese cake and 2 cappuccinos which is not too bad. The price was reasonable.
Because it was raining so hard, we decided to go back to the hotel and chill for the rest of the day.
JyuanSih Waterfall
Our dinner is “snacking” and wondering among the stalls in the popular Shilin night market.

At the same night, it was about 1.30 am I felt our bed was shaking. I thought it was Charlie who shook the bed; perhaps he had a night mare or something, therefore I put my hand over his back, thinking of to “calm” him down and also to “stop” him from shaking. I was surprise it wasn’t him. He got up and asked: what the hell was that? Did you feel the shake? Holy crap, we had just experience an earthquake! It lasted a few second. Nothing scary but it was weird. We checked the clock, it was 1.40am. We were tired and just went back to sleep, hopefully no more shakes.

Next day, the news confirmed that it was a 6 magnitudes earthquake in Hualien.
JyuanSih Waterfall

The typhoon has bought so much rain and it was hard on the trail, therefore we decided to visit JiuFen that is located by KeeLung Harbor. The hotel reception was so helpful; they told us there is a bus station by the nearest metro station where there are busses goes directly to KeeLung Harbor. This saved us a lot of time! We were thinking we first has to take a metro to the main station and then take a train to KeeLung and then take a bus…

The bus is actually located opposite the metro station, by a food market. We went inside the food market to have a some snack just in case I got hungry on the bus (I hate being hungry) It was good stinky tofu - oh it was so stinky.
JyuanSih Waterfall
.Charlie was disgusted by it smells but I loved it!

We didn’t not wait for long and the here is the bus. What I like about Taiwan is, there are clear signs every where; it didn’t take a long time for us to search for the right line for the right bus. All right, you have to be able to read Chinese because those signs are written only in Chinese. It will be hard for foreigners who don’t read Chinese but the Taiwanese are very friendly and helpful, they would help even before you start asking! Well, I did have a little stress though, because Charlie is all depend on me to bring us around and this is not my own country. Luckily we met a few Taiwanese who asked if we needed help when we looked a little puzzled.

It took about 45minutes and Viola - We are at KeeLung Harbor! One thing I would always remember to do is - told the bus driver where we wanted to go and let us know where we should get off; and, never forget to ask where to pick up the return bus! The bus drivers are ever willing to do that and it reduced some stress on me.
JyuanSih Waterfall
Our bus driver told us to walk across the road so that we could pick up the bus to JiuFen. No problem at all to find it and got on the right bus.

We were surprise the bus ride took a little longer then we expected, I couldn’t wait to get off! We got off as the bus driver told us to: it started to rain..This is the second time we visited JiuFen and it rained both times! What we like about this town is the historic commercial district that covered by 2 pedestrian streets. We walked thru the streets, did some window shopping - souvenirs, snacks, leathers, coffee shops, restaurants, soaps - yes, the soaps we used for shower. Apparently they are pretty big about this hand made organic herbal soaps. The brand name is Yuan soaps. We tried it before during our first visit to Taiwan and we loved it.
JyuanSih Waterfall
One of the reasons we are back this time is to buy these soaps. In fact, we spent a whole afternoon the other day trying to find the shop in Taipei but failed. We knew there is at least one Yuan Soap stall in JiuFen, so, here we are. To our surprised - there were 3 shops that sell these organic soaps. We bought 4 of them at one time! Although it was not cheap but we really loved them. It was lunch time, we were looking for that one restaurant that over looking the water. It took us a while to find it and it was wonderful steamboat food and great view! We strolled for a little after lunch, and decided to leave. It was still raining. We walked across the road to pick up the bus back to KeeLung Harbor. While waiting in front of a bakery, we noticed that was a very popular pineapple cakes bakery, lots of compliments from magazines and newspapers.
JyuanSih Waterfall
Therefore we bought a box of pineapple cake. It was so good! The bus arrived and we got on, couldn’t wait to taste that cake again, I opened it and had it on the bus. Charlie was freaking out - pointing out to me - no food and drink! I didn’t care..ha..ha..I know I shouldn’t have done it but half of the cake already in my mouth and they tasted so good!

We arrived KeeLung Harbor around sun set - still raining. We wanted to find the night market to see if we could get some food for dinner. Most of the stalls are closed due to the rain and it wasn’t really a night market that night. I bought a friend chicken chop - It was so good! It took us a while to find the right place for our bus. We asked a girl if that was the right place for bus to go back to Taipei. She wasn’t sure and told us to just wait here.
JyuanSih Waterfall
After about 20minutes, one older lady approached us to ask where we wanted to go. She then told us to walk across the road; the bus stop is located in front of a mini mart. It was so nice of her because it was raining, everyone seems to mind their own business but she would come to us and tried to help us! Luckily we had our ponchos on; it was awful with that kind of heavy rain all day. The bus arrived within 5 minutes and off we go! By the time we go back, we were soaked!

We had a peaceful sleep that night (thank GOD for no more earthquake after that night). We took a day off the next day and just being lazy.

After a day off, we went back to Yang Ming Shan for another hike. This time, we took a mini bus up to the hill without have to transit at the main bus station at Yang Ming Shan.
While walking, we saw a sign stated: beware of monkeys. Do not stare at the monkeys. Do not stop and look at the moneys in case there are fighting. If you have food in your bag, turn around.

I was getting scared reading those signs; sounds like those wild monkeys are violent! However we kept on walking. I saw a giant size spider by the rock (fist time in my life I have seen such a big spider) took a picture, walked on. Then I saw a wild monkey sitting on a fence. I was really scared and slow down my pace. One Taiwanese old lady that walked behind us, over took us and told us: monkey no problem! I think she meant it should not be a problem, just walk on. So we walked on without looking at the money - Phew! It didn’t mess with us although we had some snack in our bags.
Then we came across a rest area with a table where you can stamp the logo of that trail. We had the stamp on our travel book. We then kept on walking and reached our destination. Perhaps it was October; it was very pleasant to walk on these trails, just a little scary at the monkey area.

The next day, we went on another hike. It was a beautiful hike. There are wild flowers along the path and lots of beautiful butterflies and bees around. We took some times to enjoy the fresh air within this wonderful world!

We may probably back to Taiwan again!
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Thanks for the kind words!
Posted on: Feb 26, 2010
View from the restaurant in JiuFen
View from the restaurant in JiuFen
on the side of the trail
on the side of the trail
wild flowers along the trail full …
wild flowers along the trail full…
Drive carefully?? How?
Drive carefully?? How?
Giant Spider!! bigger then my palm!
Giant Spider!! bigger then my palm!
I call this the monkey trail
I call this the monkey trail
See the monkey, I was so shook up …
See the monkey, I was so shook up…
Beautiful rocks
Beautiful rocks
Yeah, weve done that; and many mo…
Yeah, we've done that; and many m…