Packer-Bucs football game

Tampa Travel Blog

I found it!

It is so bright and sunny in the morning that it wakes me up earlier than I would like.  I decided to head back to the Gandy Park and search for those geocaches I couldn't find when Bill and I were out there.  My brother in law, Jedd, decided to come with me.  The first one we looked for was a tiny 35mm film capsule.  I poked my head in the trees and found it, but let Jedd discover it.  From then on, he was hooked!  We found a large ammo box under the boardwalk where you could read entries of people who found the container 4 years ago.  We walked along the boardwalk and looked at the plants of the salt marsh.  We saw 3 little crabs, but no alligators.  We ended up finding all 4 caches in the park, just in time to go back and get ready for the big game.

Found the ammo box!

My parents drove down from Wisconsin, I flew from Minnesota, and my sister and Jedd live in Atlanta - and we are all Packer fans!  We put on our Packer shirts, filled the (mini) cooler with beer and ice and drove off to the game.  We found a little parking lot across the street from the stadium, charging an outrageous parking fee, but there were few parking options.  We saw a couple Packer tailgate parties, so we decided that would be a fun place to park.  We piled out of the car, cracked open the beer and was warmly greeted by our fellow Packer fans.  You can find Packer fans everywhere, and here was no exception.  We saw about as many Packer fans as Bucs fans walking by.  Since the cooler was small, we each had our two beers and then we were out, so we decided to head into the stadium.

Jedd on the boardwalk

It was a windy day, but warm and sunny - perfect.  We collected our free Bucs t-shirts and I was excited to get a free shirt that I could wear for work ;)  We had seats WAYYYYYYYYYY up high, but we could still see the field pretty well.  What a fun stadium to watch a game in.  There is a pirate ship on one end that blasts "cannon" shots whenever the Bucs score or do something good.  There are orange flags lining the stadium than workers put up when the Bucs are in the red zone, or make a turnover.  The pirate ship throws beads out to the crowd.  The tv screens have a neat animation of Bucs and Packers pirate ships and of course the Packer ship gets sunk by the Bucs pirate ship.  We could even see the water of Tampa Bay from our seats.

crab
  Even though the Bucs were 0-7, they had a good turnout of fans.  The game was great - until the 4th quarter.  That's when then Packers decided to embarass themselves by handing the Bucs their first win.  It was quite painful to watch at the end, but overall it was a TON of fun.

After the game, we were caught in traffic for about an hour, but eventually worked our way over to Cypress Point Park to watch the sunset.  Except the clouds had been rolling in, so we didn't see much.  Instead we found a couple geocaches ;)  It started getting cloudy during the game and was super windy the whole time.  Hurricane Ida was working its way up the Gulf, so that's why the weather started changing.

After the sunset, we drove around trying to find something to eat.

mangrove roots
  We were actually debating whether to go to Ybor city, Davis island, or Waffle House.  I just threw that out there for fun since only my dad and I wanted to go to Waffle House (we don't have those back home).  We ended up in a familiar looking area and it turned out to be Old Hyde Park, where Bill drove me through yesterday.  I mentioned a couple restaurants that were recommended by Bill and we ended up finding The Lime.  We were worried we'd be underdressed anywhere else because we still had on our Packer gear.  Turns out this was about the best place we could have stopped.  It had a bar and grill atmosphere, with just about everyone wearing football jerseys.  Four different games were playing on the tvs.  We fit right in.  We sat in a comfy booth, ordered happy hour beers and chips and dip.  Everyone had delicious food.  It was Cuban food and again, very delicious.  Yum.

After dinner we went back to the hotel to drop off mom and dad with the intention of finding some night geocaches.  But then we starting playing on the computer, watching tv, etc and got too tired to go back out.

Jedd at Gandy Park
Jedd at Gandy Park
crazy Packer fans
crazy Packer fans
My sis and bro-in-law
My sis and bro-in-law
crazy Packer fans - wait, thats m…
crazy Packer fans - wait, that's …
Tampa skyline from stadium