1. Favorite Photos: 01. My 70 Favorite Castle Photos
Casablanca Travel Blog› entry 2 of 20 › view all entries
Now that I've amassed thousands of photographs and hundreds of towns visited, I've decided that it's time to put together a "Motherblog" to collect the best of everything.... I'll start out here with my favorite castle photos--as castles are some of my favorite discoveries in my travels--whether it be the Mud Castles of East Morocco or the hilltop castles of central Italy...
*These are towns that are included more than once.
NOTE: Many of these photos are of my recent Europe Blog which hasn't been uploaded yet...
01. The First
A clifftop castle with a spectacular view
02. The Coolest
This was the first and most exciting
The most magnificent of all the
04. The Magnificent
This castle very impressive•and free!
05. The Forgotten Castle of Talat n
Nobody seems to know about this cool Berber castle in the High Atlas.
A fun castle to explore.
07. The Castle and
One of my best castle backdrops.
This one had more of a royal entrance.
A wonderful welcome to
10. The Mountaintop Family
A hidden gem high in the mountains of central
I couldn’t resist.
Here I learned a lot about Italian history.
13. The strategic castle of Melilla,
Some really cool caverns and passageways to explore.
14. The Cliffside castle of Grottanmare,
Another cool discover perched high above the Italian coast.
15. The stately castle of Celano,
16. The Royal
This castle welcomed me to
An interesting place in one of my favourite cities.
19. The unusual ruins of the castle of Mehdi Plage,
No one could explain to me the history of this Andalusian style castle.
20. The many civilizations of Azemmour,
In this castle you can see the many layers of civilizations that occupied this city.
21. The Castello of
An unusual, round castle.
22. The hilltop fortress of Ceseno,
The ruins of this fortress were pretty fun to explore.
23. The fort of Ceuta,
Not as cool as
24. An ancient royal palace in Meknes,
An interesting glimpse into
A cheerful town hall/castle welcomed me to this town.
26. Another coastal castle in Imola,
Similar design to Senigalia•but a nice photo…
27. My first real French castle in Vincennes,
After seeing many prissy chateaus, finally a French castle.
28. The Castle overlooking Lisbon,
One of the many cool things about this city.
This castle broke the mold on the east Italian coast.
30. Castle Three in
Another fantastic view from the mountaintop.
Still a cool looking castle.
A fun little spot at the edge of
33. The gateway to Castel San Pietro,
I found this town particularly inviting.
This was a pleasant surprise in this little
35. The Mud
A lot of interesting surprises in this desert oasis castle.
36. The ramparts of
A great spot to soak in the sea air and the Essaouira vibe.
37. the little village of KsarAbdelaziz,
I had to stop and explore this place.
38. Castlelike gateway in Frankfurt,
Not quite a castle•but had to include it anyways.
One of numerous discoveries in my first north inland town.
40. One more mud castle in
My second discovery on my desert hike to Rissani.
41. The Tower of
One of Asilah’s many hi lights.
42. Looks like a castle in
We’ll call this old military fort a castle.
Faro welcomed me to
Looks cool from a distance.
45. Fortress in
One of the many treasures of
Without it, this would have been a pretty boring village.
47. The walls of Evora,
World Heritage Site•should be on the list.
48. The Portuguese fort of
A small but action packed Moroccan Medina
49. The strategic fort of
On the very tip of
50. My photo of Martil,
Don’t know what it it•but it looks kind of cool…
A strategic point on the Portuguese border.
52. The ocean view from the Kasbah of Tanger,
A great view of the Straits of Gibraltar.
One of several cool little forts on a ridge of Azilal.
54. The Fortress of Fano, Italy. (07-141)
If you look closely, there’s a lot to discover in this historical coastal city.
55. The Courtyard of Parma, Italy (07-168)
Some cool Medieval reenactments here…
56. The Round Tower of Lodi, Italy. (07-173)
57. Still another coastal castle in Pesaro, Italy. (07-142)
It seems they all hired the same architect…
58. Courtyard in Stuttgart, Germany (07-057)
Just thought it was a cool photo.
59. The Andalusian style fort of Alcazar in Sevilla, Spain. (03-024)
Where Moorish and Spanish architecture blend.
60. The shell of a castle in Settat, Morocco. (03-016)
Nice on the outside, not much on the inside.
61. Another tower in Frankfurt, Germany. (07-074)
Just thought it looked cool.
62. An old fort in Larache, Morocco. (03-021)
I think it was built by the Spanish.
63. The chief’s castle in Taghela, Morocco. (06-104)
I was invited in for tea by the owner of this castle.
Would have been nicer if it hadn’t been fenced off..
65. The castle of Chefchaouan, Morocco. (06-086)
A lot to discover in Chefchaouan
66. The town prison in Sunbury PA, USA (04-042)
The closest thing to a castle in a US town is usually a prison…
Couldn’t get any good pictures, but it was still fun to wander around.
68. The castle of Brno, Czech Republic. (07-055)
Another OK castle…
Kind of a castle…
Well… it’s actually the entrance to a cemetery•good try though…
Gateway to Sale, Morocco
A little castle in Dan, Great Britain
The Old City of El Ayoun Oujda
A little castle in Castel Bolognese, Italy